Mounting Switches for Added Lights, etc., How Did You Do It?

Discussion in 'Lighting & Illumination' started by LifeLongWNYer, Nov 7, 2017.

1. LifeLongWNYer

LifeLongWNYer GMFS Member

I just got a 2015 Sierra 1500, and am quickly learning that it is more difficult to work on that vehicles that I've owned in the past. I want to add a few lights and other accessories that I will feed power to, through an "add on" switch. In the past, i was always able to find a spot on the dash where I could mount a couple of toggle switches. This truck has almost no open real estate and I am having trouble finding a spot to mount the switches. I would really rather not mount a panel on the bottom of the dash, as they are hard to reach, and look a little "cheesy", but that might be my only answer.

Can anyone tell me how much space there is in the "A" pillar, can I run a few wires up the pillar and put the switches on the center overhead console?

I can't be the first guy to do this, can you show me a few examples of what worked for you?

Thanks for the replies, I have a lot to learn, and need help!

Jim P

2. Drop 'em

Drop 'em =[[8]]==[[8]]====[[ ]]=

There's always some space behind the pillars for some wires, unless you're talking about a ton of switches. What about on the panel with dimmer/light switches to the left of the steering wheel..? The little cubby hole could fit a few.

3. Tim W

Tim W Timbrage: Engage

why not just go to the dealer and get the factory upfitter switches under the radio, they make some of them with like 5 extra switches

4. LifeLongWNYer

Allllll right guys, thanks for the replies.

First, I don't know whether the higher level cab has the cubby hole, or the lower level cab does, or the older, or the newer models have them, but mine doesn't have it. Mostly all of the dashboard real estate has something already on it.

As far as the upfitter switches, that is a great idea. I've seen them in Fords, but didn't know GM had them. As you might have guessed, other than the '64 in my avitar, this is my first GM since I sold my '78, so i am learning as I go. I will swing by the dealer and look into the switches. Thanks for replying, I really appreciate the help from you guys.

Take care, all,

5. Mitch

Mitch Wambulance Driver

Do you have a part number for this?

6. LifeLongWNYer

Sorry, Mitch, I KNOW that I saw the part number in this forum, somewhere, but I just spent a little over an hour searching and couldn't find it.

As I recall, there are 3-switch, 4-switch and 5-switch panels.

Hopefully someone who is better at searching this forum will blast in with the answer, OR, if worse comes to worse, pick up a couple of doughnuts and stop in to see your favorite GM parts guy.

JBP

7. Drop 'em

Drop 'em =[[8]]==[[8]]====[[ ]]=

Probably talking about GM 23145158...unless he already has that. But have fun doing all the wiring in that section if you don't use the stock harness that's technically suppose to go with it, there's zero room. That's why people like using the cubby holes for panels, because it gives you room to work with.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  8. TMAN

TMAN Drive fast, take chances.

Currently in the process of building a panel for 2 switches in my 2014. I thought about mounting them in the over head counsel as well, but this cubby is useless so I figured I'd use it.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  9. LifeLongWNYer

I'd use the cubby hole in a minute, if it had one. I don't know if my 2015 dash is a upgrade, from the standard, or a downgrade, but NO cubby, anywhere.

I will have to look through the threads again, but someone said that if you install the 5-switch panel below the heater controls, you can get power controlled by those switches off of pins in the panel block on the cab side of the firewall, above your left foot position.

Darn, when I find something interesting, I am going to print it from now on. Threads are complex, and it is hard to find something a second time.

10. TMAN

You must have the trailer brake controls right there. I looked into the upfitter switches but I thought I read somewhere it only works if you have the basic options for the switches that go there. I wish they all came with at least a couple of upfitter switches.

11. LifeLongWNYer

Ah, the trailer brakes, YES, they are there.

My switches are two, one for the traction control and the other for the bed lights. As I understand it, which very well could be wrong, the new panel, with 5 switches, will keep those two functions and give me three additional ones. Supposedly, those three added switches control the power at pins in the block under the dash. If that is correct, i would be happy.

JBP

12. Mitch

Mitch Wambulance Driver

From what I’ve found online. It’s too much work for the possible end result

13. LifeLongWNYer

Okay, understood.... I found and downloaded a GM "upfitter" manual, which says that replacing the 2-switch panel, which is currently in my 2015 Sierra, with the 5-switch panel, available at most GM parts counters, will allow me to get switched power at the block on the drivers' side of the firewall. It also "says" that by simply moving a fuse, in the fuse panel, I can change whether the power at the block, is on all the time, or switched with the ignition. According to the upfitter manual, the new switch simply plugs into the existing harness, and bingo, bongo, the power appears at the appropriate pins.

I "kind of" believe the GM document, but wonder if any one here has tried this, and whether, or not, it worked.

I need to add a few switches, but don't want to add a chintzy Pep Boys switch panel to the bottom of my dash, I did that in the '60's and it looked cheap then, even worse now. That silly sunglasses holder in the overhead console bugs me, I will never use it, and wonder if I could remove it and put a few switches there.

14. TMAN

Please do it, I want to know how it works out lol. Also can you post a link to the manual, I'd like to check out out

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017 at 9:27 AM
  15. LifeLongWNYer

Sure, glad to help.

https://www.gmupfitter.com/pages/body-builder-manuals

I copied the URL from my browser and pasted it here; when I tried it, it was not an active link, but copy it from here and paste in your browser, it should work. If not, let me know, I'll figure out something else.

JBP

16. Southern_Sierra

Southern_Sierra GMFS Member

Took the lighter/12v deal out and mounted it there.

B0933F8C-454D-44DD-A52E-FA22A0959BF6.jpeg