Multiple ways to double din in a 99-02, read b4 asking

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Forklift, Oct 24, 2008.

Sponsored By: EMF Car Audio
  1. Forklift

Forklift Wanna B Jack o all Trades

pay someone to do it

2. midnight711

midnight711 Midnight

Pshhh nahh I wil.do it

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

3. itsmattmp

itsmattmp New Member

This project was easier than I expected, but still took me the better part of two Saturdays to complete. I didn't follow others by using the 2003 bezel, or using bondo. I simply took out the old stereo, put the new one in, and then made marks on the 2002 bezel where the new head unit would need to come through. Then I used a dremel with a diamond cut-off wheel to cut out a larger opening for the head unit, making sure to do so slowly so that the fit was very close around the head unit. I also cut out small openings for the tabs where the face-plate attached to the head unit and I used the face-plate to cover up my not-perfectly-straight cuts.

I also had to cut out the steel bracket behind the stereo for it to fit far enough back, and I used two pieces of what some people are calling plumbers strap to bolt the head unit to in order to keep it in place. I used self-tapping screws to attach those straps to the top of the dash in a place that would be covered by the bezel. Finally, for a few bucks I ordered some black ABS plastic from Ebay and used it to fill in the small gaps on the left and right of the head unit. I think it came out pretty good, and was able to maintain with original bezel which would have been hard to replace or even paint because of the wood on it. Unfortunately I didn't take a lot of pictures of the process, but here are some of the final install.

4. aussiedog61

aussiedog61 New Member

E-tigger,
    After purchasing and installing the Metra DP-3002 bezel, I find the fit and finish acceptable, but not to my liking (I guess I'm too picky). Your solution seems brilliant and looks great. Can you please tell me what brand and paint color you chose to match the factory original? I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a suitable choice from SEM that comes close. Thanking you in advance and great job on that conversion.