My '11 HD Conversion! (How-To & Pics)

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by levancuthbert, Oct 16, 2013.

Sponsored By: Tonneau Factory Outlet
  1. WPSPSS

WPSPSS GMFS Member

Progress?

2. levancuthbert

levancuthbert GMFS Member

Got all the parts home, and have the whole bumper assembled! I'm all ready for the install, just waiting for some nicer weather. Here in Indiana is got cold as crap and has been raining for the last 3 days. Since I'm lifted this tall, I have no choice except to work outside. Wishing I had a taller garage door! Anyway, I will be getting it mounted up HOPEFULLY by the end of the weekend (weather permitting). Will post pics and details as soon as I'm done!

3. CUB

CUB GMFS Senior Member

Goodluck, hopefully tour install goes smoother than mine... Mine was a pain in the dick.

4. Ed4x4

Ed4x4 never finished

yup they're never as easy as they look lol.

fun fact, OP, your half ton mount brackets that are on your truck, are different that our HD mount brackets. From your parts list, it looks like you intend on reusing them. You might be in for a trick there. I know when I did my swap I had to cut frame, but that was a 2010 front end so I dunno.

5. ghostridin

ghostridin GMFS Member

don't mean to thread jack but if you know anyone that wants the hd front end i have hood, grill and bumper for sale

6. alxs210

alxs210 GMFS Member

That was a thread jack

7. levancuthbert

Thanks for the support and advice fellas. Ed, would you mind giving me some direction on what exactly you did? Mine's a '12 so the front end should be the same as your '10 was that you refer to. Right now, my plan is to take my 1500 bumper off and just flat out figure out and fabricate whatever I need to mount this HD bumper up. I also have a 3" body lift so I know that changes the relation of the frame to the body panels. So I'm probably in for a heck of a task to make it work. But if you have any input I'd much appreciate it! I will post up pictures of the work when I'm wrapped up!

8. Cook

Cook Masshole

Cut the face off your existing horns. If you mount as is you'll see it needs to be adjusted ~1.5". Your best bet is to bolt it up, measure how much you need to go, then drill new holes.

9. CUB

CUB GMFS Senior Member

I cut the face off the horns like he said...
    And I believe I flipped the Hd brackets upside down and up like 2" or so...

Pain in my dick, still not flush how I want it.

In the official '11 Hd swap thread there are some great pictures taken a few months ago... Shouldn't be too hard to find..

10. levancuthbert

Nice!! Appreciate the help. Good call Angelo, I went back to the thread and went backwards and found the pictures you're referring to. For anyone interested, its page 307. Thanks again, pumped to get to work on this.

11. levancuthbert

Making some progress today!! A few teaser pics, just posting from my phone right now. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

12. 73impala

73impala GMFS Senior Member

Its ridiculous how much of an improvement this makes!

13. Cook

Cook Masshole

Put the lower valance on first. easier imo

14. WPSPSS

WPSPSS GMFS Member

Looks good. I was hoping to see color match, too much chrome for me

15. lilmgoo1

lilmgoo1 GMFS Member

what r u doing with your stock chrome caps?

16. j.stanton2009

j.stanton2009 GMFS Member

Looking great!

17. Ed4x4

Ed4x4 never finished

like Angelo and cook said, cut the frame horns. It took me a whole bunch of mock ups before I got it right. Cut some, throw the bumper on there, cut some more, reposition. Its not impossible by any means, but its definately not as easy as you might think.

18. CUB

CUB GMFS Senior Member

You gonna remove the plastic gap guards under headlights?

19. levancuthbert

I had it off while i was doing all the test fitting so i wasn't sitting the bumper down on the plastic lower valence to keep it from getting scratched up. But yes it is for certain easier to install it to the bumper before final install

I'll be selling it all!

Yeah i believe so. Now that I have it mostly done, theres a very tiny gap between the bumper and the headlight so there's really not a reason for them!

20. levancuthbert

Got it mostly done! Still gotta mount the hood moulding to make the grille flush at the top, but that's in the works. Here's some pics!

What I started with, 3" body lift brackets which raised the frame horns from the frame rails.
    [​IMG]

After some lining up several times, I found out that with a 3" body lift, what I needed to do was mount the frame horns directly on top of the frame (which translates to 1.5" taller than their stock location. If you do not have any body lift, you would need to LOWER your mounting locations 1.5" if I'm not mistaken. And I will say, lowering 1.5" would have been much more difficult than for me to raise 1.5" due to not having to cut a bunch of the frame out and all. And as Cook and Cub suggested, I did need to cut the face of my frame horns to allow the HD bumper to slide farther back toward he truck to line up.
    [​IMG]

Before I had the vertical level figured out as stated above, but an in-progress shot none the less.
    [​IMG]

I also kept trying to mount the bumper and something kept stopping it from going all the way back on the passenger side. Found out the back side was hitting the corner of this black plastic with the huge word CHEVY on it! Ended up trimming about an inch off of the right front corner of this plastic so it wasn't hitting.
    [​IMG]

Once I got it all where I wanted it, I smoothed out all the sharp edges from the cutting wheel, and used Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating spray can on everything so it's all black and nice looking. As you can also see in this pic, on the inside of this drivers side horn, I drilled a hole through the horn and frame and put another bolt through to hold the frame horn.
    [​IMG]

And done!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a before and after! What a difference, wow.
    [​IMG]

Vortec 325 likes this.