my stockfloor on 24's thread

Discussion in 'Street Suspension' started by mccustomize, Oct 2, 2006.

Sponsored By: Pro Performance
  1. mccustomize

mccustomize My hero vvvvv

well today we cut the shit out of the bed and threw it on and I got the core support and grill mounted, now I'm just waitin on parts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lifted05

Lifted05 YUH

hell yeah. what all you waitin on for parts?

3. mccustomize

shocks, fuel cell, carbs, wiring, steering column and brake booster to at least get it all fabbed up

4. BigCountry

BigCountry U-Turn Master

:jawdrop: You are my muthafucin hero. I believ sectioning the fenders is gonna work from what I can tell. I think it'll be more subtle than I previously thought.:rocking:

5. mybigred4x4

mybigred4x4 Zinotti Motorsports

WERD!

6. dante81_98

dante81_98 //Negative Camber\\

**WARNING: OPINION BEING STATED**

Just because an S10 doesn't look bad with a 1/2" section doesn't mean a fullsize is going to look good with a 2" section. Personally I think it will look like poo with sectioned fenders. And the truck is not set up to run on 24's or 26's if it doesn't fit under the STOCK hood and fenders....period. Why don't you just detail the front end out and roll with no hood. That will look better than sectioning the fenders.

Once again, this was just my opinion. You can take it or leave it.

We now retrun to your regularly scheduled thread.

Later
    Chad

7. 01whiteoffroad

01whiteoffroad ridin low no mo'

it seems you did some fantastic work on the truck, with good ideas...and then you went ahead and cut the front fenders. i woulda just ran a smaller tire or smaller wheel. then again, that is why the truck in my sig is my own, and the truck in this thread is yours. do what you want with it, bc it is your own. i will hold further judgment until it is finished.

8. ty

ty tell Sloan I said whatup

pretty much agree here. You say you sectioned them to fit the 24s with bigger tires because you dont have the funds for the smaller tires...why not have just waited to do it "right" and got the smaller profile tires when the funds were there....like every post in this thread, my .02

9. kdubaz

kdubaz GMFS Member

I know that to you a smaller profile tire is cheating, but it's just so much cleaner looking than having a hole in the top of your fender. Just checking on tires.com, we've got a 285/30 out there and made which is only an inch taller than a 265/35 22.

Now I'm a bit old school in some ways, so let's talk about when 20's were new and the biggest thing you could run. There was this cat who had 20's on his Toyota and did the same thing to make it work.

[​IMG]

Notice the cowled fenders? That's what I picture your truck to look like.

Caprice guys have the same problem. 20's look right on the cars when they lay frame, but they don't fit under a bodydrop. To fix it, one guy did this:

[​IMG]

Same thing as the Toyota. Now if you look at both of those trucks, you'll notice a common thread; They both have hoods that are pretty much flat. By wedging them up at the hood, the lines stay relatively natural. Sure it still looks off to me, but it's not that bad.

Now on your truck, the hood goes flat and then rolls down about an inch or two before it meets the grill. If you pivot the hood and fenders off the front like it sounds like you're planning on, then the hood and grill won't be level. You'll have to do a lot more work than you planned.

Ultimately it comes down to time and money. Yes, lower profile tires will set you back $1000 or so, but how many hours will it take to fix the problem and how much is your time worth? Cheating or not, 24's won't fit under the hood of an obs chevy without those low pros.

My shell may not be your taste, but having tires stick above the hood isn't a matter of taste it's just poor design.

10. Bradford

Bradford Pssst! What's that noise?

He says on page 5 he is setting the truck up for 26's thats why he is mocking up with a big tire. Personally I say to each their own, and let the man build his ride how he wants. Like I've seen said many of times on this site, you are only true judge of what it right for your ride. For him this is it.

11. dante81_98

I am going to tub mine for 30s, only I am going to section my fenders until the hood goes about half way up the windshield. I will be able to close the hood and put the fenders back on. Then my truck will be set up for 30s. Of couse it will look like a$$, but it will be set up for 30s.

I will say it once again, the truck is not set up for 24s or 26s if it doesn't fit under the STOCK sheetmetal. If you are having to modify the outward appearance of the body (section fenders, flareing fenders, flaring bedsides ...) to get the rims and tires to fit then the truck is not set up to run that setup. To me it is not worth it to make the truck look like crap just to be able to run a bigger rim and tire combo.

Listen you say you don't want to run smaller tires because it is cheating and the bigger ones are cheaper. Then you say it is being set up for 26". Are you going to run big tires on those too, because you know using small tires is cheating and you don't want to do that. Besides, it would be cheaper and look better if you spent some money on the smaller tires. I don't know how much a set of 26s are, but I can guarantee you that it is more expensive then buying a set of low pro 24s.

It is your truck, do what you want. I am just saying that it would look so much better if you didn't section the fenders. In the end you are going to be running a low profile tire anyway, why not do it on the 24s and keep the hood and fenders stock.

Later
    Chad

12. ty

:whip:
    good question.

13. mccustomize

a 305/30 26 is 1/4 of an inch taller than what I have and those were the intended tires to run, I WILL NOT run any tire smaller than a 30 series, they look like shit to me. As far as the hood and fenders are concerned, since the truck has a huge scoop sticking out of the hood, and a completely smooth firewall, tons of chrome, billet and paint, will never be driven in the rain why run a hood? Just so I have to open it everytime someone stops to check it out, f-that just don't run one, and I will make a hood for it but as far as what it's going to look like, it will look good, sort of like an HD hood for a NBS, and just because they don't fit under stock sheetmetal doesn't mean it looks like shit, correct me if I'm wrong but cut=custom and this scene would have never been where it is today if it weren't for people who aren't scared to cut your ride. what do you think everyone said to the first guy that channeled his model A????????? They probably said the same things some of you are saying, and that guy sparked a REVOLUTION in customizing

There I'm done now, only thing I'm posting is pictures and answers to technical questions
    -later

14. race2c

race2c Team Volvo

I like the progress so far not necessaily the outcome of the look. I can appreciate the amount of work and time involved in such a project.. Do what you want to do, its your money. I mean I may not like it, but the person who walks up next to me may. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

15. dante81_98

You are right, cut=custom. We are about to start channeling my truck and cutting it to pieces. But there is a fine line that you are going to cross that is going to make it look bad. Just because you can cut it up doesn't mean you should. There is a point where you have to sit back and say, "sure, I could section my fenders, but that will probably mess up all the proportions of the truck. Do I really want to do that?" That said, I am sure you have had that conversation and the answer was yes, otherwise you wouldn't be so hard up about using the bigger tires. Personally I could not justify making the front end out of proportion just so I can say it is set up for big rims. And nobody give a shit if it is set up for 26s if you don't have them.

Don't get me wrong, you are going to have a serious custom ride. You have done more than most would ever do and you get props from me for doing that. I am not trying to hate on you or anything, but I am going to tell you right now, I am not going to like the way it comes out. The nice thing about that is that it is my opinion and my viewpoint. Yours is obviously different and we are both entitled to them.

A wise man once said, "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one".

Also, last I checked a 30 series tire is still a pretty low profile tire, I don't know if you are going to want to go with that. You may want to move up to a 305/40/26 (I hear parelli makes a good one). You don't want to be called a cheater you know. It may take some more cutting, but if you are going to run big tires, you might as well go big. Just remember, cut=custom.

Later
    Chad

16. kdubaz

kdubaz GMFS Member

Chad, we've been hanging out WAY too much.

Look Mcc, remember the Nissan bodydropped to the bodyline with the tires out of the tops of the fenders? That thing was cool, right? Maybe the fullsize done the same way? The way you're talking, doing something like this is revolutionary, after all you're doing something different that no one's done before.

Except they have.

I've seen tires sticking above the hood on tons of trucks since 1994, and guess what - they're all primered. This is just going to be another truck that never gets done because you'll eventually realize that it's going to be too much work to get it to look right and the truck will disappear into the wind.

Should you buck the trend and actually paint the truck, then having the tires above the hood is pretty lame. Running without a hood is ok I guess, but then you'll have some of the tire exposed, some not, some bubble or cowl on the fender, it'll just be lame. From the skills I've seen you do so far, there's no way you're fabbing up a hood like a NBS truck. If you had any sheetmetal skills than you wouldn't have cut out the entire bedfloor without supporting the rear from spreading out like it has. Poor planning and poor prep.

More importantly, Chad's right. No one cares if the truck is "Set up" for 26's, because you just don't have them. I have a buddy who's truck was setup for 20's, then when he actually got them, they didn't fit. Color me shocked.

You've posted this on every forum around, and lots of people are kissing your ass telling you how great it is. I'm just calling it how I see it instead of being in awe of someone who does their own work. Since I do my own work too, I know what you're doing, how you're doing it, and why you're having problems.

So go ahead and make fun of my truck because of the shell, and say its lame because it only has 22's. I'll just sit here and count my covers.

17. HankScorpio

HankScorpio GMFS Senior Member

I really do not know enough to even comment on this kind of work and modification...Kevin I know you have been around seen and worked on a lot of customs but intstead of telling this guy the following...

Your sounding like a real dickhead. IMO Try giving the younger guy some advice instead. It's harder to help him than to bash him I guess.

18. ty

:roflmao: rarely do I laugh out loud at my office...but omg, this is too good.

I didnt bag my truck myself and Im not here to talk shit to anyone regarding doing it the right way/wrong way, but damn... you challenge whipps and down talk one of his rides and you just have to know its gonna come back and sting.
    :popcorn,recliner,loving it:

19. Had20z

Had20z i eat children

Hey man are you going to turkey drag in Tyler?

i should be there with my new frame for my s10... :)

20. kdubaz

kdubaz GMFS Member

Just go back in the posts, I tried at first. I started with:

Which led to:

Now note: Someone else did it, and he's got a stock hood. Meaning he didn't actually measure to find out if it'd work, he saw a pic online and trusted that was the case.

Then:
    and then

Which he called me on. Turns out I was wrong and I admitted it.

To which he retorts:

Let's recap.

He builds his truck based on a pic on streetsource where someone else says it works.

He then starts shit talking small tires, and later says he's going to be running 26's - with even smaller tires.

Then He says sectioning the fenders is ok, and then insults my truck.

Do I come off like a dick? Sure. But at this point I've tried to give good advice, got shit on and insulted, so if I insult him I could care less.