NBS painted bowtie how to...lots of pics.

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by chevybird2006, Sep 22, 2007.

Sponsored By: Tonneau Factory Outlet
  1. chevybird2006

chevybird2006 bombs on target

so i kind of wrote this up when i first bought the truck but i did another bowtie since i messed the first up...
    first let me say i am not responsible if you screw something up.

REQUIRED:
    [​IMG]

1 bowtie
    pliers/cresent wrench (to remove bowtie from grill)
    exacto knife
    blue painter tape
    paint scraper or small flat head screw driver
    HEAVY DUTY easy off oven cleaner
    glass dish
    old toothbrush
    1 can of paint
    some type of silicone
    very fine sandpaper

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1.remove grill from truck. (remove four clips across top, pull hard at each corner of the grill and at the end of the piece between the headlights)
    2.remove ugly bowtie from grill. there are 2 plastic cutting bolts holding it on.
    3. turn the bowtie over and you will see the two layers.gently pry between the gold and the black until you can grab the black and pull the two halves apart.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. now you have two parts. i like to remove the glue (white spots) so that it is out of the way of the easy off to do its job.
    [​IMG]

5. make sure when you buy the easy off it is the HEAVY DUTY kind. the fume free kind will not eat the clear level off of the plastic and the paint wont attach.
    [​IMG]

6. find a glass dish of some sort to put the bowtie in so that you arent spraying easy off right on the ground.
    [​IMG]

7. coat the bowtie in a large amount of the easy off. i like to do this step a few time to make sure that it removes everything. let it sit between "coats" . rinse the bowtie off and then apply more. i usually let it sit for a long while...30 minutes or so. use an old toothbrush to help remove the clear layer from the edges.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    8. rinse the bowtie very well and inspect and the corners to make sure all of the gold and clear came off. the plastic will still have a gold tint to it. i have only done the bowtie in red and black and it was not a problem on either.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. scuff the inside of the bowtie (where the gold was) just to give the paint a little assistance to stick. very little scuffing is needed with a very fine grit sandpaper (i think i used 1500). rinse again to remove all residue.

10. take the blue tape and wrap the front. use the exacto to cut the edge.make sure to leave the entire back uncovered. once you have done this give the back of the bowtie a good wpe down to get rid of any oil from your skin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. set up you paint area and spray...you dont have to be a master painter to do the since it will actually be the back side of the paint that shows. i did just a few coats...very thick...i was a little impatient. take your time and it wont look bad. you can tell if it needs more.
    [​IMG]
    12. let it dry for a few hours and remove the tape. admire your newly colored bowtie.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    13. let sit for overnight at least.
    14. okay to connect the to halves back together...use some sort of silicone. DO NOT USE AN EPOXY. the epoxy will harden against the paint and it will look like shit (thats what happened to the first one i did). i chose the high tmp gasket stuff since i figured it had a very good hold.
    [​IMG]

15. apply the silicone directly to the paint. dont over do it or you will have a mess on your hands. the put the two halves back together. oh yea the two pieces only go together one way so figure that out before you stick them together. apply a good amount of pressure until the two halves are together. let that sit over night.
    [​IMG]

16. and thats it!!! now just reinstall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now i dont know if this will work for the OBS or the NNBS, someone give it a shot and let me know.

2. Lifted07Duramax

Lifted07Duramax Cartmans Critters

Thats badass
    [​IMG]

3. chevybird2006

what? how just randomly i put tape across the bowtie? or are you just liking the idea of a blue taped bowtie?

4. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly GMFS Member

i like the old school blue bowtie

5. ahb001

ahb001 GMFS Member

What grille is that?

6. JHops

JHops GMFS Member

Nice writeup! I wish i would of done mine this way! I bought a metal one already painted off a guy on here and the paint started to chip off after a year, so i scratched off all the paint and polished it now im just waiting to repaint it!

7. chevybird2006

thats a trenz i think. i got it in the shell i bought from 1lowdiesel

the bumper has an ebay insert.

8. Uzzy

Uzzy The Incomparable Mr. Uzzy

Sweet! This is exactly what I was looking for. I hate the gold, it's going black. :head:

I was going to just scuff and spray bomb the outside, but I thought maybe I should check on here to see how it's done right. Well I'm off to Crappy Tire for some easy off and silicone adhesive...:burnout:

9. maka

maka GMFS Member

Looks awesome!!

10. 04SilveradoMykk

04SilveradoMykk GMFS Member

Cool, looks good

11. blazerida88

blazerida88 draggin the dimes

nice, so all u did was spray the inside, and the outside is the same as it was from the factory?

12. chevyman992002

chevyman992002 GMFS Senior Member

yes, he sprayed the inside of the bowtie so it gives the glossy look w/out having to worry about it getting chipped.

13. Uzzy

Man, that Easy-Off Heavy Duty is some strong shit man. :crazy: :pshyco:

14. chevybird2006

ha yea sprayed the inside...still looks awesome! as for the easy off...its srong. i burned the skin off of a few of my fingers.

15. marty31

marty31 New Member

Great writeup...

16. badz24s

badz24s dodgin' potholes

why did chevrolet have to use that gold tinted plastic? I tried doing mine(graystone) and with the yellow color, it threw the graystone waaay off.

17. Uzzy

Ya, I noticed all of the gold colour comes from the plastic. The foil inside is actually silver. I peeled the adhesive spots off and the foil came with it and it was totally silver. I can see how it might muck up lighter colours, but my black turned out great. :pepper: However, my tape didn't hold the sides too great. :think: There was a tad bit of leakage to the other side, but not much. The recess in the grille should hide most of it. I'll see if I can get it off with a scouring pad or something that won't fuck up the plastic as well.

18. black06

black06 Chevrolet Member

try painting black with the gold tint:crazy:

19. chevybird2006

i did a buddy of mines with black and it turned out great... the gold wasnt too bad.

20. blue venom

blue venom GMFS Member

thats badass im going to have to try it on mine