Need help with G80 Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by not_panda, Dec 23, 2016.

1. not_panda

not_panda New Member

So I've been having some difficulties with my rear axle, and I can't quite figure it out. I have an '04 silverado 2500hd 6.0 CCSB 4x4 with 4.10s in the rear. It's a "new to me" truck, only having it for about 4 months. I've noticed that in any situations of low traction, it doesn't seem like the posi is fully engaging. Some times it grabs, and sometimes it doesn't, giving it kind of a "hopping" feel. I first noticed in some deep sugar sand, so I just figured it was a little bit of axle wrap, and just let out of the throttle, and didn't think twice. But now with winter upon us, I'm noticing more and more. The other night, there was a decent amount of slush on the ground, and during a tight uphill turn, it started to hop again, and clunked like if I broke a u-joint. The thing is, it hasn't made any strange noises since, so I don't think it was the u-joint. I'm at a complete loss. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. John Clark

John Clark GMFS Member

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but on a posi rear end, in a tight turn, you'll get some hopping because the inside wheel is turning at a different speed than the outside wheel. A limited slip will handle this without hopping but in a full posi rear end I think some hopping would be normal. I get the same thing when I'm in 4WD on my 02 Sierra. If I'm on pavement then it feels like it's locking up when I make a turn. I try to not have it in 4WD on pavement when I make a turn. If you're on a slick surface then the wheel will slip, depending on how much traction there is.

3. not_panda

not_panda New Member

I figured that would be it slipping a little bit, but the part that has me more concerned is the clunking I heard after. My old truck ('04 yukon 1500, with G80 geared in 3.73) never really had this issue. I'm assuming the weight difference in the back would cause less slipping, but I don't know if the noise is something I should be worried about. I haven't heard it since, but I don't wanna risk something actually being broken, and my negligence cause more problems.

4. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

Have you crawled under and inspected the u joint

5. Mikebte

Mikebte GMFS Member

My old G80 was missing a few teeth and only worked on and off.
    May be a good idea to pull the cover and inspect, if anything you will know it's ok and has new oil.

Phildirt likes this.
  6. not_panda

not_panda New Member

Sorry my phone bricked, had no way to answer. Anyway, the u joints seem fine. There is minimal play with the driveshaft, it will move about 1/16th of an inch, no further

7. not_panda

not_panda New Member

I had planned on getting all the major fluids changed (oil, coolant, diff, etc.)soon, so I'll have them check out the rear. Normally I'd do that type of stuff myself, but it's getting to cold up my way, especially to be doing it all in the street