New member, new truck whats best to do with it?

Discussion in 'Classic GM' started by DavidinNC, Aug 19, 2016.

1. DavidinNC

DavidinNC New Member

Truck2 (1).JPG Hello,

Ive wanted an older GMC truck for a long time, and yesterday, one finally showed up. She isnt flashy, but she has a ton of potential. A local mechanic shop picked it up from a lady whose husband passed away, and she was clearing out stuff. This truck has sat since 2000 in a barn. It was a work truck, but the body and interior looks in fairly good shape. Ive ordered a replacement fuel tank and pump assembly, it had a full tank of varnish when we pulled it down. Once we get the fuel and brakes working properly, and replace the tires, I plan to have the transmission flushed. Got her for $500. She has factory air but needs that repaired as well. She runs and moves. I want to get her into good shape, and wonder what others think would be best for her? The truck is only a 4x2 but I'm ok with that. I will be having the business logo removed as soon as the truck is road worthy as well.

2. Slim

Slim Jake

drop it down, LS swap, leave logo

ALLTERRAIN and ogg like this.
  3. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

Ls swap, long travel and ball out

kids-at-711 likes this.
  4. kids-at-711

kids-at-711 Sexually identifies as a shopping cart.

Ls swap, Long travel, leave logo, clear coat, ball out

5. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

I Forgot

Leave logo.

6. JB Long

JB Long GMFS Member

You'll be reading others opinions until your eyes bleed. That's a lot of truck for $500, nice score! What's best to do with it is purely up to you. What are you willing to spend, what can you do yourself, what's your skill level? Will you be using it for? DD, garage queen, etc. LS swap w/ SC, drop, tub, cage. The sky is the limit. Keep it simple, start slow, and do things right the first time.

7. Swab

Swab cunts

Carb'd LS, fix a flat, and 2/4 drop /thread

8. DavidinNC

DavidinNC New Member

Regarding the Logo, I've thought about it, but that was a family business here for many years, and I don't know the family at all. It might be a little weird to keep reminding folks what the truck used to do, since all of them are passed on now.

I'm not interested in a garage queen, and she is a very basic model, so not sure she is worth any high end sort of restoration. I've decided to get her fixed back to being safe and roadworthy first, get her cleaned up, then get a good undercoat. She has some basic rust underneath, nothing serious at all, but I have to think that after 16 years of sitting, if she gets in contact with much rain or road salt this winter, the rust will explode. Then I will get used to her, and do some more looking as to what to do with her. I could afford most anything I wanted to change, but I want to make sure I am happy with what comes out the other side.

9. Slim

Slim Jake

i will buy it for $550 delivered to MN, and I will do the LS swap.

10. benz88

benz88 GMFS Member

whoever carbs an LS should have their taint removed.

LS Swap, Drop it. 20/22 wheel combo and ball out

11. DavidinNC

DavidinNC New Member

We will see about the LS swap...that may come in time. Here are a couple of other pics if anyone is interested. IMG_4915.JPG IMG_4910.JPG IMG_4916.JPG IMG_4913.JPG

12. thirdgear90

thirdgear90 GMFS Member

That's a lot neat than I thought on first pics. Good score!
    Have fun what ever you decided to do.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy Your Fearless Leader Staff Member Admin

Ha ha...ball out. Nice pickup! For $500, it was a steal!

Like the idea of keeping the logo and clear coating it to keep the oldness in tack. Definitely drop a LS in it or at least a newer motor.

14. Scott Munson

Scott Munson New Member

You scored for sure. Mine was a LOT worse condition when I picked mine up. I decided : it was going to be a daily driver, I had to do all the work in my driveway (can't afford a garage) and I was going to take my time but it had to run to take me to work everyday. It turned out pretty well. The LS engine swap is definitely in it's future. I scored a old truck one from a junkyard with ALL fuel and electrical on it for only $600. Instead of a new fuel tank with a return line on it (for fuel injection return) I am just adding a fuel reservoir tank and putting up on the firewall. Good luck, remember "it's suppose to be fun" !