NNBS LED Heads and Fogs?

Discussion in 'Lighting & Illumination' started by crewz71, Jul 29, 2015.

1. crewz71

crewz71 GMFS Member

Wanting to do LED's in my heads and fogs in my 2013 Z71. Have very little knowledge about the headlights but I've heard that my body style has separate bulbs for the high and low beams. Trying to figure out if this is true and if so where to find each bulb. Also trying to find LED bulbs for the fogs. Anybody did this before? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. thecolter

thecolter New Member

I went with the LED headlights in the link below. They blow my old HIDs out of the water in terms of light output and beam pattern. They are also instant on, so you don't have the 'warm-up' period that HID units have. I was having too many issues with my HIDs flashing, not coming on, etc... and chose to go with LED headlight bulbs and I couldn't be happier with the purchace. They are 100% plug-and-play and there is no bulky HID ballast to hide. If you do choose these bulbs, you will have to do some headlight adjustment.

Amazon.com: OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Arc-Glass Clear Beam Kit - H11 (H8, H9) - 60w 7,000Lm Crystal White 5K CREE - 2 Yr Warranty: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51IIYyON2OL

For the fogs, I just went with these:

Amazon.com: JDM ASTAR 1200 Lumens Extremely Bright 144-EX Chipsets H16 5202 TYPE 1 LED Bulbs with Projector for DRL or Fog Lights, Xenon White: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51cAw61iBsL

They are brighter than the standard fog light bulbs and match the headlight LEDs perfectly. I also modified these to be my DRL and it works out and looks great.

3. crewz71

crewz71 GMFS Member

Awesome, thanks man!

4. chevybird2006

chevybird2006 bombs on target

how are these working out? I just ordered the same thing. my HID's never 100% worked correctly so im pulling them.

D_Cardone likes this.
  5. D_Cardone

D_Cardone GMFS Member

Curious about the opt7 LEDS....I just ordered Fluxbeam lows (9006) and fogs (9005) *(Actually H10 but the 9005s fit fine) for my 06 Silverado and from what I've seen review wise they are great! I'd like to get some real world feedback on them now that you've had them for a bit....info greatly appreciated!

6. SMRTSS1

SMRTSS1 GMFS Member

I've had the OPT7 LEDs in my lows for a few months now. Better light output than HIDs and not as blinding to oncoming traffic (yes I've been oncoming traffic to my own truck) and from following my wife in her Scion TC they don't blind the driver in front. Instant on, no flicker and no problems with heat or anything else. They fit a little close to the air box but it's nothing problematic. Added bonus of not having to deal with the hassles that come with HIDs.

D_Cardone likes this.
  7. mr.easy214

mr.easy214 GMFS Member

When everyone is saying the LEDs are putting out better light than HIDs, is that in an actual projector housing or a stock nnbs reflector housing??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Reit38

Reit38 GMFS Member

What's the difference between the Opt7 Leds. I seen amazon has one that says something about arc beam for around $100. Other ones around $30 are all for fogs correct?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  9. D_Cardone

D_Cardone GMFS Member

Either...Leds are really better suited for projectors but work great in reflective housings as well.....Just need to properly aim the lights in reflectors to avoid blinding oncomming traffic. They are most definitely less problematic and do put out just about the same light output as HID with the right Kelvin rating. 4300-6000k do the trick!! As well as buying a premium kit....imo.

10. D_Cardone

D_Cardone GMFS Member

Nice! I cant wait until mine arrive....Just did lows and fogs as of now due to the highs being a bit more tricky to install due to lack of room. That may be the only downside to LEDs....The heat sinks do take up quite a bit of space. I managed to fit a 9005 bulb in my H10 fogs to test for fitment and it went in without any fuss. ..Being that they are only 30 watts each i should be fine in my plastic oe housings. So i will have the 6000k output matched. But i agree 100%....when aimed right, traffic isnt affected anymore than a stock HID setup.

11. mr.easy214

mr.easy214 GMFS Member

Hmm... Did my retro fit less than a year ago and luckily haven't had any HID issues yet. I'm definitely going to look into these if I start having problems

Everything I had ready a year or so ago said LEDs just don't put out enough light. Anyone have pics of these opt7 LEDs to post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. D_Cardone

D_Cardone GMFS Member

LEDS Have come a long way the past few years....here's a YouTube link that shows the output vs. halogen. But you'll be able to see how bright they really are. Good LEDs are stepping up to HID If not exceeding output.

13. max03

max03 GMFS Member

Anyone have output pics?

14. Milk

Milk Come at me bro

I've been thinking about switching out my HID's as well, I think I will eventually switch lows for sure. What's really getting me to do the whole switch is the pics on these fogs, 200$ is a little steep but might have to pull the trigger. http://www.fastheadlights.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=buy_morimoto_silverado

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  15. SMRTSS1

SMRTSS1 GMFS Member

I was thinking the same thing then I found a nnbs fog assembly that takes an 880 bulb instead of the horrendous 5202.

16. 92 sierra slx

92 sierra slx GMFS Member

anybody got pics of these leds in lows and fogs on stock lamps?

17. Reit38

Reit38 GMFS Member

Bump

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

18. intheburbs

intheburbs New Member

Here's a writeup I did on another board. Stock housings in a NNBS Sierra. Headlights and foglights. With pics.

Well, instead of tacking onto an alread-long thread, I figured I'd start a new thread for my install. I bought the superbright LED H11 and H16 kits for my Denali. Finally got around to installing them.

Installing the headlights was pretty straightforward. Since this was my first time wrenching on the truck, I decided to rip the whole front end apart. Wanted to get a feel for the lay of the land. No clearance issues. The lights plugged in easy and went on the first try. I used some 3M doublesided foam tape to attach the little "driver" boxes to the vertical fender supports.

I expected the foglight install to be a piece of cake - just crawl under the truck and swap out the bulbs. I popped out the OEM bulbs easy enough, but I couldn't get the LED bulbs to latch in. The bulb would engage one latch, but then it would seat to lock the second latch. I figured out that there wasn't enough room for the o-ring on the bulb housing - it wasn't compressing enough to seat into the foglight housing opening. The o-ring groove wasn't deep enough, so I took my Dremel with a thin cutting wheel and whittled the groove to give more room for the o-ring. Once I'd ground down the o-ring grooves a little, the bulbs seated right in and engaged both latches.

So how do they perform? Well, as you can see in the pictures, the lows don't have that sharp cutoff like the OEM halogen bulbs. So I guess I'm now one of those pricks that's blinding oncoming drivers. That being said, I've yet to be flashed by any oncoming traffic.

Light output is probably 25-30% greater than the halogens, and the color is much better. The foglights are easily 2x-3x brighter than the OEM bulbs, but I think the crappy OEM reflector housing keeps them from being truly brilliant. They do throw out some pretty good peripheral light.

Overall, I'm happy with them. I would recommend them, assuming they last as I expect them to. I got these LEDs because the Sierra uses the lowbeams as DRLs. I didn't want to install HIDs, because I know they don't like the constant on/off they'd see in the Sierra. I have HIDs in my Suburbans, and I love them. I'm probably going to pick up another pair of the H16 bulbs to install in the fog lights for my '08 Suburban.

Here are some pics:

The kits:
    20150809_185659_zpsepckgyh7.jpg

OEM headlight pattern - notice the sharp cutoff:
    20150816_162508_zpsfsubfl3o.jpg

Driver's side LED installed:
    20150816_163625_zpsnsipblu3.jpg
    20150816_163645_zps2rwqm31y.jpg

Both installed:
    20150816_170530_zpsvsebmaeb.jpg

Fog light comparison:
    20150818_190803_zps0rophbsf.jpg

Finished:
    20150818_192343_zpsbvye4t9o.jpg

Fogs only:
    20150827_231203_zpsexjqp0ao.jpg

Lowbeams only:
    20150827_231213_zpsck1mybg1.jpg

Lows and fogs:
    20150827_231218_zpsilj0dzcs.jpg

max03 likes this.
  19. WildChevys

WildChevys In Valor There Is Hope

Nice write up!

Sent from your sister's house

20. 92 sierra slx

92 sierra slx GMFS Member

thanks intheburbs for the pics im buying the fogs friday or saturday from the amazon link posted above i cant swing the lows atm so i threw my hid kit in from my last car which was also a h11 setup ill keep everyone posted and post some pics as well since its a diffferent brand etc...