Normal or not? Small vibration in park

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by andfern97, Mar 19, 2017.

1. andfern97

andfern97 New Member

Hi all, I have a small vibration that I can only feel when idling in park. It feels like it's kind of an irregular little shake every second or two. I can feel it through the chassis, but my friends tell me It's normal/I'm insane hah. As soon as I put it in drive it goes away, seems to only exist around 900 rpm. I recently got a new block due to low compression in the old one, have new plugs/wires/cap/rotor/fuel pump/belts within the last 500 miles. I tried running a bottle of techron in it to see if that helps, have yet to see results.
    I guess what I'm asking is this something that the rest of you guys have (nature of the beast) or does anyone know where to start since I've already replaced so much stuff? Thanks!

2. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

Are you able to look at fuel trims when idling? I've been using a Bluetooth OBD2 with the Dash Command app on my phone lately instead of a scanner. The RPMs are digital too so you can see a drop better than with the needle.

3. chris35moto

chris35moto New Member

I have a 2015 duramax with 105k and it does the exact same thing. Park or neutral after its warmed up it'll flutter 2 seconds and then stop for 2 . I took it to the dealer right at 100k and they did a full diagnostics and didn't find any issues but recognized it shook. I've started running optilube xpd, it still flutters but it seems to be about half as much. Plus I think gained a little fuel economy (~0.5 mpgs)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4. andfern97

andfern97 New Member

So it was a fuel related problem for you? I imagine its probably different for a diesel since I have a 5.7 vortec

5. Loki

Loki Knuckle Buster

Vehicle information is always important to put in your opening post if you want to get help 'round here :read:

When you replaced the fuel pump...did you replace filter and check all rubber fuel lines for cracking? Also check all vacuum lines

6. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

I have a 94 ranger that does the same thing

7. andfern97

andfern97 New Member

Yeahhhh I kinda realized I left the most important part out hahah. I had the pump done at a shop and I was told the filter and lines looked OK, so I didn't do those. You think it's something fuel related?

8. chris35moto

chris35moto New Member

As a matter of fact my 2004 6.0 did the same thing as well (the only difference was that the flutter was about a second shorter than the lml). I think I may be hyper sensitive to my idle but who knows. It had 32k on it when I bought it 2.5 years ago. Dealer put new spark plugs and wires in it after I got it for another reason and it didn't get rid of the flutter. Sold it with 64k about 6 months ago and it still was noticeable. I chalked it up to being part of the beast. Never had ANY issues with that engine.

I suspect some accessory to the engine runs at that interval. Fan, compressor, alternator etc....

BTW the plugs were replaced for a misfire code. Ended up being that the previous owner unplugged the cam sensor when removing his plow and didn't have it recalibrated.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

9. andfern97

andfern97 New Member

That definitely helps me stop worrying bout it. I've done plugs/wires/cap/rotor within last 500 miles too. Oh well. After replacing the whole engine due to a compression misfire I'm definitely paranoid about every single shake. It never does it when driving and drives great so I probably shouldn't be stressing over it

10. andfern97

andfern97 New Member

Did you do anything to to address it? Or just chalk it up to the engine doing its thing?

11. jrow8162

jrow8162 New Member

Try cleaning the throttle body. That took the idle shake out of mine!