GMC Truck Forum banner

Overhead console wiring

Question 
6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  gavindowse 
#1 ·
I have an 04 RCSB Silverado WT Base and Ive been installing upgrades to the interior. I just purchased an overhead console with map lights. I was about ready to install it until I realized that I only have wiring to the dome light. I will be keeping the dome light I'll just move it a little further back to allow space for the console. My question is how do I wire it so that the map and dome lights come on when I open the door, go off when I shut the door, but still be able to use the map lights independently when the doors are shut? Thanks!

#4 ·
I added a small overhead console to my truck. I used a thin plate of sheetmetal to attach it to the headliner. I've seen trucks at salvage yards with the consoles removed & those have a set of metal mounts welded to the roof. As long as you don't pull down on the console, attaching it to the headliner works just fine. The wiring is rather simple. I was able to cut the wires from the donor right at the a-pillar where it goes into the headliner. IIRC, I only wired the orange & black wire to the corresponding colored wires for the dome light. So mine only turn off/on with the buttons in the console. The grey wire would have been for the lights to come on with the door opening. It would have to be wired into the white wire for the dome light.

#5 ·
I added a small overhead console to my truck. I used a thin plate of sheetmetal to attach it to the headliner. I've seen trucks at salvage yards with the consoles removed & those have a set of metal mounts welded to the roof. As long as you don't pull down on the console, attaching it to the headliner works just fine. The wiring is rather simple. I was able to cut the wires from the donor right at the a-pillar where it goes into the headliner. IIRC, I only wired the orange & black wire to the corresponding colored wires for the dome light. So mine only turn off/on with the buttons in the console. The grey wire would have been for the lights to come on with the door opening. It would have to be wired into the white wire for the dome light.

Looks great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.