Range AFM review

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by HellBent, May 11, 2017.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. HellBent

HellBent GMFS Member

Just wanted to give my review of the range AFM disable. It's junk it worked good for the first 9,000 miles then I had to keep unplugging and plugging it in. Now today I got in the truck after work and went to the store all was well. Got out of the store and cranked the truck I noticed I only had dashes for trans temp and no indicater light under the PRNDM but the trans changed gears HARD. Shut the truck off and restarted same thing happened then went to pull away and head to my buddy's shop and scan it, when I gave it gas it fell on its face even with the peddle to the floor. Then my dash looked light a fucking Christmas tree. So I limped it to his shop. It had a ROUGH idle 500rpm all the way to 1500rpm. Pulled the range out while it was running to plug the scanner and the idle cleared up. We checked codes and the ECM lost contact with anything that had a sensor and in the can bus line and fuel pump kept kicking on and off. Cleared codes and drained the electrical system of all power. Still wouldn't communicate so out came the roll back and to the dealer we went. Had to get the damn thing as they told me reflashed just to fucking run like it did before I installed it and to communicate with everything. So I now I fully regret the $200 spent on it, only got 10k on the disabler. As I sit here and googled the range AFM disabler it is 50/50 on runs perfect and same symptoms as I had. Oh well live and learn.

sschup1130 likes this.
  2. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

Didn't we say to get. Real tune when you asked about this when you first joined?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ferraiolo1 likes this.
  3. strange

strange New Member

I shift into manual, toggle up into "5th" gear, and no more AFM. I lose out on 6th, but I have a bit more power on the highway by staying in 5th.

Sorry to hear the modification did not work out...

4. 2005_Silverado

2005_Silverado *

:rofl2:

Machingeaneer and Graystone like this.
  5. HellBent

HellBent GMFS Member

Yep ran good till it fucked up lol live and learn. Hopefully BB will be back in area next year

6. 2011denali

2011denali GMFS Member

For $80 more you can get a brand new Diablo Intune. I don't care about the tuning capabilities, for $80 more I can plug it in, turn off AFM and keep it unplugged

You can also keep it in your truck as a scan tool, as well as a scan tool for other trucks I believe (just no tuning).

It was totally worth it IMO!! I was debating a range but I talked to a few people and sometimes you had to replug it since AFM would kick in with it plugged in. Good idea poor execution