Shock recommendations for Cognito 10" lift

Discussion in 'Lifted Suspension & Offroad' started by MoneyShot, Oct 10, 2017.

Sponsored By: Tim's Suspension Online
  1. MoneyShot

MoneyShot New Member

I'm trying to figure out what shocks I can go with for my 10" cognito lift...

Looks like I'm going to need front coilovers and rear struts. The struts are affordable - I'm looking for a more affordable option primarily for the front coilovers. Not trying to go "cheap" here just trying to do my due diligence before I purchase.

It's a 2010 2wd Silverado 1500 LT with the 5.3L

Cognito recommended their Fox racing shocks which is great - but they are a little on the pricey side. I could've sworn there were some 10-12" adjustable Bilsteins but I can't find them for the life of me now

Any help would be awesome...my baby was a 2000 Camaro before this, so lifted trucks are a different scene!

2. brucebruce45

brucebruce45 GMFS Senior Member

Call fts they make strut options for the 10-12” kits

3. MoneyShot

MoneyShot New Member

Thanks I'll try them again - they can be tough to get a hold of! FTS and Cognito were my two lift kit options. Currently still figuring out the details with Cognito

I've been looking at Fox, King, and Bilstein. Just gotta make sure I get the expanded/collapsed lengths correct

4. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

Not sure if same thing but I found it was easier to just measure for ride height and not worry about collapsed/extended. It’s all relative but that’s just one number that you can be sure of by just setting the truck at the height you want and going from mount to mount.

5. MoneyShot

MoneyShot New Member

So you're saying I should measure it from mount to mount while the truck is sitting on the ground? Then essentially add 10" to that to accommodate the lift?

I've heard I can jack the truck up (with the lift already installed) and measure from mount to mount. I'm not gonna be able to do this with my tools and this truck being a daily driver at the moment.

I'm trying to get FTS and Cognito specifications on the shocks they recommend for their 10" lifts. Not sure if I'm going with them on the shocks, I want to check prices between fox, bilstein, and king and go with the best value after that. These measurements are just hard to find! If I have the expanded/collapsed lengths I can get the shock length custom

6. MoneyShot

MoneyShot New Member

Well Cognito apparently doesn't have any more information on the shocks they sell with the kit...weird right? I never knew it could be so hard to buy something

Bulletproof says they use a 10-10.5 inch spacer instead of replacing the coilovers...

And FTS hasn't gotten back with me all week...

7. 2LoNoma

2LoNoma Bla*k *n Bla*k

Why not phone cognito and ask?

If you need inexpensive coilobets get foas'

8. MoneyShot

MoneyShot New Member

Been on the phone and have an email chain with 20+ emails with them...not sure if they don't want to give me the lengths or if it's legitimately information they don't have. They are custom length coilovers and rear struts made for a 10" lift, and they use a cognito part number for a Fox product so it's hard to look up

I don't necessarily need something inexpensive, I just want to be able to research and choose a little bit. This is my dd I'm dealing with so I can't really jack it up to take the measurements with the lift already installed

9. MotoHead

MotoHead OG Member

They have the Bilstein shocks on their website for the 10" kit, they use the stock spring and hardware. I'm sure you saw them but why not get those? Do you not have the stock springs/hardware? Also, I found another company who sells the same shocks as well for cheaper than what Cognito is selling them for however I am not sure if their price is for both shocks or just 1 but I'd assume it's for the pair. Both links below.

http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/cms-bilstein-front-leveling-shock.html

http://bigcountrycustoms.com/produc...gnito-lifted-07-up-gm-1500-truck-and-suv-4x4/

MoneyShot likes this.
  10. MoneyShot

MoneyShot New Member

Thanks A TON - I feel kind of dumb now. I think I was relying on their site a little too much. I saw that one was a 10" shock, I just didn't know if that was the travel or what. I researched the part number all over and it's adjustable for a 10-12" lift which is perfect. I've got all the original hardware too

Now I have to do the rear - cognito is recommending 8" Deaver leaf springs with a 3.5 inch block at the moment. I'm thinking Bilstein makes a rear strut as well, so I'd be looking for the same 10" lift here? (Sorry for the newb questions)

MotoHead likes this.
  11. MoneyShot

MoneyShot New Member

This says it works for 5-9" from what I can tell :

http://bigcountrycustoms.com/produc...8-lug-gm-trucks-5-inch-10-inch-rear-lift-4x4/

https://sinisterdiesel.com/i-240752...kJQQGlGctptqD_sPNxPriLwTt46FqBSsaAjWxEALw_wcB (same one)

http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/bilstein-rear-shocks-1-pair-1500-suv.html (same one again)

See the front will be a true 10" lift from what I can tell - the rear normally rakes ~2inches higher than the front, so I'm wondering if I need a full 10" inch shock in the rear. I'm going for a level rake, so the actual lift should be 10" in the front and I guess 8" or so in the rear (since the rear naturally sits higher than the front)

Also does anyone know how leaf springs/rear blocks mount? Cognito is recommending 8" leaf spring and a 3.5 inch block - does this seem right?

12. MotoHead

MotoHead OG Member

8" spring and 3.5" block would be a bit overkill. Basically 8" of lift in the rear should level you out assuming you are set at 10" up front. I'm running 6" Deavers and a 2" block and my rear sits a little lower than my front but I've got the front cranked up about an inch or so. The Bilstein shocks I have out back are part# BE5-6249-H5 and those should be what you are looking for. The ones Cognito has on their website I'm not exactly sure on since they keep the description so vague. They may or may not be the exact same shock I gave you the part# on.

Hope that helps.

13. MoneyShot

MoneyShot New Member

I agree the 3.5" block and 8" leaf springs should give close to 11.5" of lift. I'm just not sure if they've already calculated in the weight of the truck/sag or anything like that. That's the thing, all these lift companies keep their info really vague, it makes it hard to be 100% sure when your setting it up

Seems like I could go with the 10" cognito front box kit - the front Bilsteins set at 10 (or 11" should be about ~2 of ride height adjustment there). Then with the rear I could go 8" lift (or 9" if I set the front set at 11"), and the 7-9" Bilsteins would work fine (same ones you're running). This seems like the best route by far, thanks a ton for the help man. I'll keep you updated and I'll probably be leaning on you a bit in the future as this progresses lol

I see you have the Cognito 10-12" also, that's gotta be a 2500 though, yea? Super nice man

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017 at 8:51 AM
  14. MotoHead

MotoHead OG Member

Sounds good. Also one other thing you may need to address for the rear lift setup is pinion angle. You may want to get a tapered block to help correct pinion angle (you can get tapered blocks in all kinds of sizes). I'd call Cognito and get their recommendation on that for your truck.

My truck is actually a 1500. :handshake

15. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

The pinion angle should match the angle coming out of the trans/tc. Tapered block is just a bandaid for a drive shaft that is too short. That is for a single rear shaft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

16. MoneyShot

MoneyShot New Member

Yea Cognito is recommending this exact set-up from my emails/phone calls with them:

1) FSLK101044.1 - front 10" box kit
    1) SWAYBAR-8328 - Swaybar - not needed right now so I nixed this from their quote
    1) UCAK100047 - Upper control arms also nixed from their quote
    1) FOX-FSK-1010DSC-4WD - Fox front coilovers. Way too expensive for my application at the moment. I'll go with the 10-12" front Bilsteins here
    2) LSDEAVER-H49 - 8" Deaver leaf - I can get on board with this or the 6". i just don't want a massive rear block
    1) BUK10-3.5T-13 - 3.5" tapered rear block kit
    2) FOX-FSCAD-10R-1 - fox 8-10" rear struts, I'm going with the 7-9" Bilsteins (what @MotoHead recommended) for the rear

The guy I'm dealing with is just trying hard to sell me stuff I don't need, ya know. And he said all the information he has on shocks is the part number . I'm on the verge of getting someone else to talk to over there, I'm definitely going to need a 2nd and 3rd opionion just to make sure this guy knows what he is talking about. I'm fairly new at this too, so I'm really taking my time and trying to learn here. This is a truck I plan on keeping for the long haul

Just got my rims in too - Ballistic Rage 959 22x12. Gonna plan on running 35" Atturo Trail Blade M/Ts for now. Still researching tires too, I don't plan on too much offroad, just want something with good wear for shitty south louisiana roads lol

20171013_124110.jpg

MotoHead likes this.
  17. MoneyShot

MoneyShot New Member

Also for those wondering - I spoke with Deaver leaf springs. An 6" leaf spring is designed to give 6" or lift, so on and so forth for 4", 8" etc. So adding in the rear block height is an easy way to calculate the total lift of the rear

18. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

Well yea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Phildirt likes this.
  19. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

I thought there was a factory block though. Wouldn’t you add the advertised spring lift to the difference in factory and lift block? Maybe I’m wrong it’s been a while since I’ve had a leaf sprung rear.

20. MoneyShot

MoneyShot New Member

Still new to the truck world man, my bad. Just didn't know if they calculated any kind of sag/weight or anything like that in the leaf spring

This would make sense...not sure if there is a factory block either, I'm thinking no. Either way, according to Deaver their advertised leaf spring height will give you that lift without any kind of block. So an 8" leaf spring will give you an additional 8" over whatever else you have