Silverado Canopy freezing issue

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by MossMan, Jan 3, 2017.

Sponsored By: Tonneau Factory Outlet
  1. MossMan

MossMan New Member

Hi all! I am new to the site and I apologise if I am posting this in the wrong section, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to prevent the SnugTop canopy on my 2012 Silverado from freezing. The handle its self along with the two side hinges have been freezing up a lot this winter (I live in Western Washington and so far we have had an unusually cold winter) I compete in dogs sports and also my dogs travel with me to work so for a quick fix I have been dumping warm water on the lift glass area where the handle and hinges are located but all that does is get me in once and then the water of course freezes again...I was wondering if anyone had any trick of the trade that live in cold climates to prevent this from happening? Thank you!

2. richarddhoward

richarddhoward GMFS Member

Silicone the seals and the hinges, and make sure to keep the cover on the lock. Keep a can of deicer in the truck for the lock if needed. Also, use a dry lubricant on the lock. WD40 is awesome but you will end up with a bunch of crap in your lock that sticks to WD. I have two of these canopies, one on my Chevy and the other on my Ford, I am about to buy a third for my Sierra also, and had the same issue on the two I currently own. They are both Snugtops also. This fixed all my issues with the problem. I have also used a head gun for when it really iced up when I was out east of the Mississippi. The heat gun can help dry it all up in the first place.

3. richarddhoward

richarddhoward GMFS Member

Side note, where are you in WA? I live in Centralia, work in Oly and I travel everywhere else a lot, family up on Bainbridge and down in Oregon