Steering wheel shake

Discussion in 'Lifted Suspension & Offroad' started by Mallardblaster, Jan 10, 2017 at 7:09 PM.

Sponsored By: Tim's Suspension Online
  1. Mallardblaster

Mallardblaster New Member

hello, I have a 2004 Chevy 1500 with a 4" lift, running 33's I rotate my tires regularly (cooper stt's).i just rotated my tires 2 weeks ago, before rotation I had signs of every other tread wearing down unevenly. After rotation I had a extremely bad stealing wheel shake that occurred from 35-40mph after that the shake goes away. Just got all four tires balanced and had to order to new hub centric rings. Curious as to why I never felt this shake before rotation? Only when rear tires are brought to the brought I get the shaking

2. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member

Every tire weares differently. Air pressure, balance etc has an effect on them. The back tend to were fairly even if balance is correct. Once you rotate them they are in a different place so to speak and they aren't feeling very well in this position. Now they try to get comfortable in this new position on the truck. If they are out of balance or the rim is slightly bent, a dragging brake caliper can cause a rough shimmy. You said every other tread is wearing, sounds like air pressure and balance. I know that this sounds wrong but I had a similar experience with my pickup with 33" tires. I ran them in reverse!! Right rear to left front and so on. This is a last resort! But I have had it correct the problem your talking about.
    Now don't everyone start sending me hate mail. Like I said this is a last resort. Otherwise buy all new tires as they have worn themselves out prematurely. You have to check the balance every oil change or 3,000 miles and the air pressure weekly!!! Don't forget about your wheel bearings and the front end alignment!!! Do these things and you'll get a lot more miles from the tires than you thought was possible! Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find. Sleeper Van1995 Tony

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

3. Phildirt

Phildirt GMFS Member

What? Lol

Dougie602 likes this.
  4. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member

Each wheel isn't exactly like the other three. Nor is the alignment bearing and the brakes. The pickup I was telling you about had a uncontrollable wheel shake over 60 mph. It turned out to be a brake caliper that wasn't returning to the relaxed position and when warm it was putting the brake on one side of the caliper. It was driving me crazy until I finally discovered the problem. Who knows what the issue is with yours. Did you try putting the tires back in the original positions and see how it is?

5. Phildirt

Phildirt GMFS Member

Where is the alignment bearing located?

6. Mallardblaster

Mallardblaster New Member

Thanks for info sleeper. I actually did rotate tires like you stated and problem still exists. Every tire shop I've been to has said something different, had kanrock "balance" them. Problem was worse so I took it to a local tire shop once I was back in town he slapped them on his machine, leaving their wheel weights on...one tire was off 10oz and the other was off 7.5oz. I have around 35k on these tires with 50% tread left! Haven't had a single issue with this tires until now

7. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member

How is it since you had them rebalanced?

8. SLEEPER VAN

SLEEPER VAN GMFS Member

I forget, what started all of your problems with the wheel shake?

9. Phildirt

Phildirt GMFS Member

tires

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017 at 6:34 AM