Throwing an idea around

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by PowellSixO, Dec 21, 2016.

Sponsored By: Tonneau Factory Outlet
  1. PowellSixO

PowellSixO GMFS Member

So I have my truck paid off finally, and I plan on keeping it for a very very long time (Wife says I can't buy another truck for at least 5 years, lol). So I've done some maintenance lately, that was much needed. I put new front rotors, and pads on the front. I put new pads on the rear and turned the rotors. I put a new pitman arm, idler arm, and idler arm bracket on the front. I replaced the leaking hydroboost as well. I put new knock sensors in, new oil pressure gauge, intake manifold gaskets, spark plugs, plug wires, serpentine belts, tensioner, pulleys, and some other nicks and knacks on the motor. I also put new 35x12.50R17 Toyo R/T's and 17x9 Level 8 Wheels on the truck. It runs great, and gets me where I want to go. Soon, I'll be putting new upper and lower control arms on, upgraded tie rods, and new cv shafts to finish the front end. I'm also going to be putting some new skins on the seats, seat covers, and floor mats in the truck. I've also ordered a new grille to replace the god awful one that is on it now. Now for the part that's probably going to upset some people.......... the exterior. I use this truck off road a LOT. I drive through a lot of thick brush, and a lot of cedar trees. My paint job looks bad. And I've come to the realization, that my truck is just never going to have a good looking paint job. But I would like it to look decent. So I'm throwing the idea around of sanding it down, and applying white monstaliner or raptorliner (I've chosen these two because they supposedly have good UV resistance, and the color shouldn't fade as much). I figure with white, the small imperfections won't show up as much, and the scratches I will encounter won't look as bad. Plus it should match my white bass boat. Lol. What do you guys think? I'm always up to different ideas. Thanks.

Here's the canvas.

[​IMG]

Here are the wonderful scratches.

[​IMG]

Here is the ugliest grille that ever was.

[​IMG]

2. Machingeaneer

Machingeaneer GMFS Member

Functional, yes. Impossible to clean, yes. Good looking, probably not. Your choice man.

3. PowellSixO

PowellSixO GMFS Member

Any ideas for an alternative? Staring at a bunch of huge scratches that go almost to the metal doesn't look very good either. Lol.

4. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

Just have it re-painted white. Scratches don't stand out like black.

5. PowellSixO

PowellSixO GMFS Member

I'd love too, but the only 2 places in town that paint vehicles, quoted me $7k+ to repaint my truck white. Maybe I'll have to learn how to do it myself.

6. gmc00z

gmc00z GMFS Senior Member

vinyl wrap? god forbid....plastidip?

i'd get a beater to offroad honestly, although the damage is done so might as well carry on.

7. PowellSixO

PowellSixO GMFS Member

Looked into the vinyl wrap, and liked the idea of it. But it eventually peels, and cracks. Plus the quotes I got to do my whole truck was $3500. I'm think more along the line, something I can do myself. And no I'm not going to plasitdip it. The body it's self is straight, so I guess a coat of white paint would probably be the best solution. Do I have to completely remove all of the black paint from the truck before I paint it with white? Or can I sand down the black a little and paint over it? Someone give me a quick run down of what I'd have to do to paint the truck white myself please. I'm not a painter, but I can learn. I think.

8. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

Didn't you say it was a truck?

Phildirt likes this.
  9. PowellSixO

PowellSixO GMFS Member

I certainly did. I'm not looking for a show truck paint job. Just something a little nicer is all.

10. kids-at-711

kids-at-711 Sexually identifies as a shopping cart.

wait. So you want to paint your truck, just scratch it all to shit, so it will look nice?

11. PowellSixO

PowellSixO GMFS Member

Say what? You should add that one to the list of quotes in your sig.

12. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

Valid point tho

13. PowellSixO

PowellSixO GMFS Member

That's why I was wondering about doing the monstaliner. It wouldn't scratch as easily, and would let me use my truck the way I want to use it. Just because I pondered a paint job, doesn't mean it's going to happen.

14. HellBent

HellBent GMFS Member

I'd just bed line. My last ruck was bed lined so im patrial to it lol. Here's my 98 ram. 20150710_121929.jpg

15. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

I'm sorry that's hideous.

I had to Google Monstaliner. I could see it on an off-road vehicle but not a DD. You obviously care about your truck enough to have rebuilt it from scratch so I'm not sure why you'd want to put a textured finish on it.

Billy95 likes this.
  16. 2011denali

2011denali GMFS Member

Take your truck to a reputable detail shop. Its amazing what they can do to paint, I had a pretty rare car and it was more valuable to keep the OG paint job but the guy I got the car from took poor care of it in the last 10 yrs. White paint was matte in some spots (front end mostly) and badly sunfaded I had to repaint the wing. The rest of the car was detailed for 3 days. Took him 3 days to get all that heavy oxidization off and it looked brand new.. was $450 to get it done

17. 2011denali

2011denali GMFS Member

Also look for a suzuki sidekick or something to do some bushwacking in. You can make it a mini razr fairly easily and buy a cheap trailer for probably under 2k (for both). Already have the truck to pull it?

18. MChap15

MChap15 GMFS Member

If you're gonna keep taking it off road then just deal with it the way it is cause anything else you would do would look worse than the scratched paint.

Or get it detailed and live with a still scratched but improved finish, and buy a cheap XJ or something to take offroad

Billy95 likes this.
  19. Billy95

Billy95 GMFS Member

plz don't bedline it.

20. DominatorC

DominatorC GMFS Member

Either do a bedliner color or leave it alone. It'd be a huge waste of money to paint it just to scratch the shit out of a fresh coat. Saying you offroad a lot, bedline it. Ignore what the show trucks tell you as you surpassed that stage.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk