Tooning How-To (BETA)

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Claye, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Claye

Claye GMFS Senior Member

This how-to isn't done quite yet but thought I would go ahead and post it for everyone that needed some help. I'll revise and update it in the near future.
    First I'm going to be refering to certain tools, layers, and other Photoshop info in this how-to that you need to know. To get familar with these here are a few links to help you out.
    About Photoshop
    Layers
    Photoshop Tools
    Another Tooning Guide
    Image Resource List
    All from the Photoshop Bible

Your first toon isn't going to look great IMO. Mine didn't. It did at the time because I didn't have anything else to compare it to. But now that I look back on my first toon and campare to others I have done along with other peoples' toons it look like crap! LOL

First you want a fairly good sized pic to work with. The higher the resolution the better! Take that pic and open up PS. Duplicate the picture which should be your background. Then on the bottom layer "Background" layer click on the little "eye" to make the BG layer not visible, then go to the background copy layer above the bottom layer background layer and start cutting out the truck. Cut out the whole truck around the fender wells. By this I mean, you want your cut-out to look just like a truck body with no wheels on it.
    This is what you need to start off with:
    [​IMG]
    Then with everything cut out:
    [​IMG]
    To get the best cut-out possible use the "Polygonal Lasso Tool". Don't select the whole truck with that tool all at once. Cut out small parts here and there. Like for example cutting the wheel wells out, Use small selections along the way to make a better rounded cut-out. Once you have your selection, use the Select-modify-smooth options on the top menu. That way your seletions will be more rounded and smooth.

Now that you have your truck cut-out click on the truck cut-out's layer and press "ctrl" and click on the image of the truck in the layer's tab to select the whole truck. Now copy that and then open a new document. You need the document at least somewhere around 1600x1200 and the resolution around 500:
    [​IMG]
    Now paste that into the new document. Now take the truck with your "move tool" and resize it to fit your new document. You also need to make it look a little cartoonish. It doesn't take too much to do this. Just squish it a little on the sides a bit just to give it a cartoonish feel.

Now that you have that done. Make a new layer above that one and name it "White BG". Fill it white. and then set the opacity in that layer to around 50% or so. So that you can still see the truck a little. You may want to play around with that depending on the pic. This is so that we can see the lines we are drawing more clearer. After that make yet another layer and name it "Lines". You should have something like this when done:
    [​IMG]
    Now that you have done, click on "layer 1" while holding "ctrl" to select the whole truck. You need the "lines" layer active. Now click on edit-stroke and stroke it 2pts.
    [​IMG]
    Now depending on how well you cut the truck out will affect how straight and smooth the lines will be. If your lines aren't smooth by doing this don't worry. You can do them by hand. Just use the line tool and go along making the best lines you can. Use small line for curves and rounded areas. This will take a good while. Take your time in doing this, you have all the time in the world! Well I don't LOL. If you should mess up just step back a step and start over and retrace it. You need all your "tracings" or "lines" that you have done in the "lines" layer. You need them to be at 2pts. and black color.

Once you have the truck lines done you now need to get your truck some rims. You can use the rims on the org pic or if you toon has the right angle you can use another picture of some rims. It all depends on the angle they are and the resolution of them. The best way to cut the rims out is with the "eliptical marquee" tool. Just select the rim and if you don't get the selection just right, right-click on the slection and click "transform selection" to get the right selection just right. Now just copy that and paste it onto your toon. Do this for both rims and name them "rim01 & rim02" if you want to. (That's really up to you to keep up with the layers you're using.) You should place the 2 rim layers just below "layer 1" or the "truck cut-out" layer and it should look something like this:
    [​IMG]

OK now place the rim layers under the "truck cut-out" layer so that they will tuck under the truck or however you want them to look on your toon. Get them just right and exactly how you want them look cause once you start "lining" them or "tracing" them you can't move them or adjust them again. Once you have that done make another layer above the "line" layer and name it "rim lines". Now "ctrl" select one of the rim layers and click edit-stroke and stroke it 2pts. Do this for both rims. While you're still on the "rim lines" layer reselect the "rim01 or 02" layers and click select-modify-expand to expand the selection. You really need to judge this yourself for how big you want your tires to be cause that's what we're making. Once you have a big enough tire to your liking click edit-stroke and stroke it to 2 pts. Still on the "rim line" layer now you can just erase the left over lines on the rim layer that over lap on the fender so that they appear to go under the fenders. Then finish your lining of the rims by using the "line tool".

Ok we now have all the tracing or lining of the toon done. Now we need to paint it. You can also delete the "White BG" layer now that you don't need it. We used it so that we could see the lines better while lining. Make another layer between "layer 1" or "truck cut-out" layer and name it "paint". Select a color of your choice and go the "line" layer and select the "magic wand" tool. Click inside the lines to select what you want to paint. Select the "paint" layer and click edit-fill and fill in the areas of what you want to paint with the color of your choice. This includes the body paint, tires, wheels, bumpers, etc... Also while selecting and filling these areas with those tools you may aslo need to go back over with your "paint brush" tool to fill in some areas that could be selected and filled.

Once you're done painting your toon the hard part comes. You now need to select the "paint" layer and find areas on the truck that need to have shadow or light on it. Like for example the indentions right above the fenders needs to have a curved dark area to show that it does have an indention in it. Look at the org. pic of the truck or other pics of trucks to get some ideas on where to place these shadow/light areas. Take your "Polygonal lasso tool" and select the areas that needs to be altered. Remember when selecting these areas to use small connections for curves and use the select-modify-smooth tools to help you get a good selection. Also when doing this you need to "feather" these areas as well. You really need to just "eye" to get it right. To feather an area just select what you want to "feather" and then click select-feather. Anyway when you have an area that needs light or shadow selected to your liking click image-adjustments-brightness/contrast to give the areas those light/shadow looks. There really isn't a "best" way to do this. It's kinda different for each toon you do. You just need to practice this or eye it to get it right or to your liking. Once you have all that done add a shadow under the truck and maybe add some sparkles to the paint or something.

I hope this has helped you in your quest to tooning!! LOL I know this is a lot to read and take in all at once. I wrote it the best and simplest I could. If you have any question just post here about any details you need to know. It took me a good while to get these things right and just how I wanted them. You just need to practice practice practice!!! :shake:

2. Black_Chrome

Black_Chrome GMFS Member

Your the man for posting that, i forgot all i learned in the photoshop class i took in school lastyear

3. 00silvy

00silvy GMFS Member

claye...how do you copy the whole page of ps? i might be able to put some of my work up here in stages if u want

4. Claye

Claye GMFS Senior Member

I just use the Print Screen button.

5. 00silvy

00silvy GMFS Member

this is the one we did for the toon contest on here, claye pretty much explained how to do everything so im jus gonna post some pics of the different layers i used and how they should look

original pic
    gmfscontest3.jpg

first is of just the outline, messed up and put some of the shading on this layer too
    outline.jpg

2nd is after adding the paint and bringing the background back into it(lights, grille, etc)
    paint.jpg

this is after adding the shadows
    shadows.jpg

this is after adding some lighting to it
    light.jpg

added the interior
    interior.jpg

finished product
    gmfcontest2copy.jpg

6. aksledneck

aksledneck GMFS Member

All this info is really helpful. I was wondering if you guys could go into more detail on the shadows, lighting, adding the interior and wheels.

7. Claye

Claye GMFS Senior Member

Yeah I'm going to revise this How-to soon. I'm currently working on VicRed's Toon, that's the one in the pics. Once I get back on it I'm going to finish writing it as I do it.

This is a sticky thread so anyone with some tips or how-to's on this post away! Just like 00silvy did.

8. Claye

Claye GMFS Senior Member

Here's a few tips:

Quicker Toon
    For this one you need a good high rez pic with hardly no reflections in the paint. By this I mean no trees, other cars, etc... You can try doing this with the Photoshop Toon Contest Truck 00silvy showed.

Once you have some of the shading done you should have the org pic of the truck in your layer pallet. Just take your paint layer and lower the opacity of it so that the org truck pic will show through just a little. That way you have a more realistic looking toon and won't have to do as much shading. But his doesn't work for every toon like I mentioned before.

Easier Rims
    Again this one doesn't work on all rims. You need a high rez pic and some rims just won't look right when done this way.

When you're done lining or drawing your rims, take the org. pic of the rim and "ctrl" select it. Now go to Filter-Blur-Smart Blur. You need to play around with the settings a bit, but this will make the rim look more toonish without having to paint or shade the rim by hand.

Edit: Smart Blur will also sometimes work for headlights, grilles, bumpers or most chrome looking areas too.

9. Claye

Claye GMFS Senior Member

Manual Truck Drop Shadows
    Once you have your toon done. Here's my truck done:
    [​IMG]
    OK now we're going to add a shadow under it. Create another layer named "shadow" and place it between your "Background" layer and your "Toon" layer like this:
    [​IMG]
    Now in the "shadow" layer we're going to draw a shadow under the truck with the "Polygonal Lasso Tool". Take your "Poly" tool and draw a shadow under truck with it. You need it to follow the truck lines as best as you can get em. You need something that looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see my selection isn't very straight or smooth. That's ok we're going to fix that. With that done go to select-modify-smooth. With mine I set the smoothness to 30.
    [​IMG]
    Now it look smuch better!
    [​IMG]
    Now that you have straight smooth lines we can now feather it. Feathering will give it a kinda gradient feel to it. With your selection still active click select-feather to feather it. You need to play around with these settings to get it just right. If it's too much or not enough at all just lower or lift the amount to get it the way you want it. On mine I used a setting of 30.
    [​IMG]
    When it's feathered just fill it with black and you're done! This is what mine looked like here:
    [​IMG]

10. Boomer

Boomer GMFS Member

thats some good stuff u guys posted. now i get how to do some things a little better now.

thanks

11. 00silvy

00silvy GMFS Member

this is the toon i did for chevy8869

original pic
    chevy8869.gif

outline
    outline8869.jpg

shadowing
    shadows8869.jpg

lighting and window reflection
    light8869.jpg

paint
    paint8869.jpg

rims, grille, lights
    backg8869.jpg

flames
    flames8869.jpg

sig, added reflection
    chevysigcopy.gif

12. aksledneck

aksledneck GMFS Member

00silvy, i noticed that you do your shadows and highlights of the car on different layers. What do you use to make them?

13. Matthew

Matthew Formerly Chevy8869

As I started reading this thread I wondered, I would like to see how 00Silvy did my toon and bam 2nd page there it is! I like the one before the flames, it reminds me of the good ole days before when I had no flames and a work truck single headlight grille on modular wheels! Thanks again for the toon! I'm glad my truck is in this thread. Sorry to waste space guys! But 00Silvy is the man!

14. Yellow-03

Yellow-03 Team Black

If I wanted to PS a SS Bumper Cover on my truck how do i color it to match my truck (Im new and I suck as Photoshop)

15. Luc1f3r

Luc1f3r Snooby Doo

that is some good stuff! now, how to paint.. once ive got my truck how can i change the color? do yall do the same lighting effects or just make your own shadows and such?

16. 00silvy

00silvy GMFS Member

i start from a flat color and make my own shadows,lighting effects. I just make one layer for the color of the truck and nothing else.

17. Luc1f3r

Luc1f3r Snooby Doo

OK, what? Line tool? i got the line tool, i got the main outline of my truck how do i make the little lines? everytime i make a line it creates a new layer for that little line? what am i doing wrong?

18. Luc1f3r

Luc1f3r Snooby Doo

found my anwser in one of the links, thanks!

19. Crazz

Crazz GMFS Member

great, thanks this will help

20. kcksierra

kcksierra GMFS Member

heres my first try at tooning ... tell me whatcha think

cartooncopy.gif