upgrade

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Tim W, May 19, 2017.

1. Tim W

Tim W Timbrage: Engage

so we've lived in our current house for 7 years, about 4 years too long, we were supposed to start out here and upgrade back then, but you guys know how life gets.

current house: 1164 sqft on a slab built in like '47, sitting on about .26 acres, two normal size bedrooms and a kids room that's half the size, single bath. We did windows, siding, trim, fixed some rot and got it looking like this, then cruised out for the last 6 years or so
    [​IMG]

we've vastly outgrown this house, so time to upgrade, April 18th we finally closed on this place:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2048 sqft, 5 bed, 3 bath, built in 1998, in a cul-de-sac, corner lot, backs up to 3 acres of woods that I'd like to purchase once we get settled

rear of house:
    [​IMG]

A few interior pics taken from the MLS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kinda gross, the lady let her doges have run of the place, the carpet was trashed in all the bedrooms, the whole house smelled like wet dog farts, so the night we signed on the house, we immediately went over and pulled all the carpets, pads, tack strips, trim, everything. We decided on wood grain tile off the shelf from Lowe's, as it looked decent and is cheap. So once we got everything tore out, we decided that we would rip out the tile from the kitchen since it looked like shit and was crooked and when they installed it, they never pulled the trim, so there were either gaps at the walls or the thinset was slathered onto the trim, it was fucked up.

We were originally going to go with the 12mm laminate, but didn't hear any good reviews on laminate with two huskies and one/soon to be two kids running around.

We decided on this shit:
    [​IMG]
    Its called Sienna Ballpark, I really like it, but you can draw your own conclusion in the rest of the pics

There's gonna be gaps in my pics because once you get busy working, you forget to stop and take progress pics.

shit load of cement board:
    [​IMG]

kids-at-711 and B_Pier like this.
  2. 07Burb

07Burb Administrator Staff Member Admin

Nice....congrats on the upgrade. We did the same about a year ago for the same reason and also moved into a cul-de-sac. GREAT move with not much traffic which is ideal when you got little kids. Much more relaxing than worrying about the busy road so much.

3. Tim W

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's where we ran into a problem, the house had settled and caused a rise in the floor, so we had to make due to level it off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that's pretty much it for now, carpet got installed yesterday, but my wife and her dad have been doing the tile and I've been hanging out with our daughter at the old house while they're working on that, so once the tile is done I can keep going on my jobs

I'll update as we do things

One last thing, and i'll get pics of it, but the night before we signed, we found termite damage that the inspector never found, and we paid for a pest inspection that never picked it up either, the little fuckers had eaten through the baseboard trim. We were hesitant to continue, but the previous owner swore she knew nothing about it, but promised to pay contractors to make it right. So the day after we signed, Terminex was out there doing whatever it is they do, setting bait traps and shit. We're still in the middle of the contractors fixing the damage, but it'll get done to our satisfaction no matter what. Luckily the damage was just one area, an external wall in the front bedroom, they inspected everything else after the fact and assured us it wouldn't be a huge deal.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    RC32187 and sschup1130 like this.
  4. kids-at-711

kids-at-711 Sexually identifies as a shopping cart.

Any new news on that fgt contractor yet?

5. Tim W

not yet, flaky as fuck

6. Luke

Luke GMFS Member

Congrats Timmy, I like the flooring you picked.

7. Kyles03

Kyles03 GMFS Senior Member

Congrats! 3 acres of land would be nice addition.

8. dewey05sd

dewey05sd GMFS Member

Congrats on the house upgrade and I too like the flooring you chose.

9. carterbeauford

carterbeauford GMFS founding member

Cul de sac FTW. do I see a superior walls foundation?

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Your Fearless Leader Staff Member Admin

I missed this! Looks good. Got any finished pics of it?

11. Tim W

not at the moment, but I will

last couple months has been hectic, I had to tear the kitchen at the old house down to the studs, all new cabinets off the shelf from lowes, I think all in all, we half assed the whole thing for about 2k

new house has been a couple months of unpacking, finally finished the floor last week, I have a shit load of trim to still put up, contractor got all the damage fixed, plaster is all fixed in the spare bedroom, I'm happy with it

second kid will be here in february, so I need to start messing with making a nursery out of the spare bedroom

next step now that the floor is done is having my father in law show me how to install doors on the pantries and shit, I'm super nervous about drilling into that porcelain tile

12. Shaggy

Why did you yank all the cabinets out at the old house, just hope to sell it faster with new cabinets?

You had damage at your newer house? What was the damage? Congrats on the up and coming baby Tim!

13. Tim W

built a fence for the dogs and kid

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

classy'd the joint up a little bit
    [​IMG]

more recently, got the fireplace working again
    [​IMG]

we bought a new fridge for the old house, but the cabinets at the new house were built around the old fridge, so I had to buy a new fridge since the wife was tired of having to go into the garage to get food
    [​IMG]

14. Shaggy

So what are you doing with your old house? Selling it?

15. Tim W

had a water leak that i didn't know about until it was too late, so I was just going to replace one cabinet, but then I couldn't match that one, so I fixed everything

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

good enough to sell it :imo

they found termite damage the night before we signed, try to keep up @Shaggy

16. Tim W

its gone, we made a very respectable profit on it, took a vacation, bought a used suburban and a tv, paid off all of our debt besides vehicles and the new house, and stuck a bunch in savings

17. Shaggy

I was in the same boat. I bought a new house(new to me) close to 2 years ago. Did several major upgrades to the new house while still living out the old house. Finally moved in to the new house and started doing a few updated to the old house. Took a few months, then finally put it on the market and sold it 2 days later for a decent profit. Was nice to get the money and was also nice to have to stop going back and forth between the 2 homes. The money made from the house sell went all to paying off the updates to my new house. Go figure.

18. Tim W

yeah, it was a necessary evil, but the debt we accrued was from the stuff on the old house and the upgrades like flooring and shit at the new house, but its nice to have the floor done and not owe anything, obviously we're not ballin' out of control like most people making house threads but its still a nice set up we have

19. Shaggy

Exactly! Was great to take the money profited from the sell of the old house to pay off all debts made from the upgrades to the new house. I was also happy to be able to live in our older home when everything was torn up at the new home.

Tim W likes this.
  20. 07Burb

07Burb Administrator Staff Member Admin

do like the updates, Tim! :)