upgrade

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Tim W, May 19, 2017.

1. Tim W

Tim W Timbrage: Engage

so we've lived in our current house for 7 years, about 4 years too long, we were supposed to start out here and upgrade back then, but you guys know how life gets.

current house: 1164 sqft on a slab built in like '47, sitting on about .26 acres, two normal size bedrooms and a kids room that's half the size, single bath. We did windows, siding, trim, fixed some rot and got it looking like this, then cruised out for the last 6 years or so
    [​IMG]

we've vastly outgrown this house, so time to upgrade, April 18th we finally closed on this place:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2048 sqft, 5 bed, 3 bath, built in 1998, in a cul-de-sac, corner lot, backs up to 3 acres of woods that I'd like to purchase once we get settled

rear of house:
    [​IMG]

A few interior pics taken from the MLS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kinda gross, the lady let her doges have run of the place, the carpet was trashed in all the bedrooms, the whole house smelled like wet dog farts, so the night we signed on the house, we immediately went over and pulled all the carpets, pads, tack strips, trim, everything. We decided on wood grain tile off the shelf from Lowe's, as it looked decent and is cheap. So once we got everything tore out, we decided that we would rip out the tile from the kitchen since it looked like shit and was crooked and when they installed it, they never pulled the trim, so there were either gaps at the walls or the thinset was slathered onto the trim, it was fucked up.

We were originally going to go with the 12mm laminate, but didn't hear any good reviews on laminate with two huskies and one/soon to be two kids running around.

We decided on this shit:
    [​IMG]
    Its called Sienna Ballpark, I really like it, but you can draw your own conclusion in the rest of the pics

There's gonna be gaps in my pics because once you get busy working, you forget to stop and take progress pics.

shit load of cement board:
    [​IMG]

kids-at-711 and B_Pier like this.
  2. 07Burb

07Burb Administrator Staff Member Admin

Nice....congrats on the upgrade. We did the same about a year ago for the same reason and also moved into a cul-de-sac. GREAT move with not much traffic which is ideal when you got little kids. Much more relaxing than worrying about the busy road so much.

3. Tim W

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's where we ran into a problem, the house had settled and caused a rise in the floor, so we had to make due to level it off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that's pretty much it for now, carpet got installed yesterday, but my wife and her dad have been doing the tile and I've been hanging out with our daughter at the old house while they're working on that, so once the tile is done I can keep going on my jobs

I'll update as we do things

One last thing, and i'll get pics of it, but the night before we signed, we found termite damage that the inspector never found, and we paid for a pest inspection that never picked it up either, the little fuckers had eaten through the baseboard trim. We were hesitant to continue, but the previous owner swore she knew nothing about it, but promised to pay contractors to make it right. So the day after we signed, Terminex was out there doing whatever it is they do, setting bait traps and shit. We're still in the middle of the contractors fixing the damage, but it'll get done to our satisfaction no matter what. Luckily the damage was just one area, an external wall in the front bedroom, they inspected everything else after the fact and assured us it wouldn't be a huge deal.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    sschup1130 likes this.
  4. kids-at-711

kids-at-711 Sexually identifies as a shopping cart.

Any new news on that fgt contractor yet?

5. Tim W

not yet, flaky as fuck

6. Luke

Luke GMFS Member

Congrats Timmy, I like the flooring you picked.

7. Kyles03

Kyles03 GMFS Senior Member

Congrats! 3 acres of land would be nice addition.

8. dewey05sd

dewey05sd GMFS Member

Congrats on the house upgrade and I too like the flooring you chose.

9. carterbeauford

carterbeauford GMFS founding member

Cul de sac FTW. do I see a superior walls foundation?