Van transmission

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Willie B, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

The 6th gear is almost the same as the 4l80e final gear fyi. Not everything over 4 speeds is an overdrive. All the extra gears are in the beginning. 5th is 1:1 iirc.

I would not get all my info from the guys that told you have a caddy trans

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2. 2005_Silverado

2005_Silverado *

because this Isnt prohibition era...dbl overdrive is an old term that doesnt apply here. the 2 "extra" gears are pretty much in between 1st and 6th...6th gear being relatively unchanged from an 80e. you could go up to a 373 or 410 gear ratio if youd like higher cruising rpm. Other than that, not much else we can tell you regarding possible future outcomes with the rebuilt trans

3. Willie B

Willie B New Member

Based on information I requested from GM in 2013: 5th is .852 to1 overdrive, 6th is .667 to 1 overdrive . The previous van with 4L80E had .75:1 OD With 6L80E Chevrolet specified in this transmission, at .667 to 1 OD in theoretical torque converter at 1 to1 transmission output (driveshaft) speed is 1.49 times engine speed. Chevrolet specified at the time that this trans has no 1:1 gear. 4th is 1.552:1

4. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

Yea which is fine. You still have not said what keeps failing in the trans to start with. The tc locking up is actually going to create less problems as it's creating less heat in the trans because it's a direct drive. There is no gearing in a tc so it's not 1:1 the 6l90e. The final gear is very close to the 4l80e enough that it would not be noticeable. You even said you don't tow or haul with it so the "double od" would not make a difference. It's not causing any stress at highway speeds. More stress is put on in the first couple gears than anything.

You could have a defective case that is causing a continued failure. If the original problem is never fixed it will keep happening. There are thousands of these trucks out there that are not having this issue. You are choosing not to take the lemon law route so you will have to deal with the fact that you are going to have a truck in the shop.

I think you are too hung up over the 6 speed part and that is causing your problems. Either let them fix it or lemon law it. You said before you don't know much about transmissions so let the experts do their job

5. Willie B

Willie B New Member

If indeed they are experts they say "I don't know" a lot, and "We're waiting for parts" a lot. They are a GM dealer, working on a GM transmission, and transfer case, yet they blame Quigley for them not having GM part numbers. It seems this is a 6L90, with the transfer case GM installs in 3/4 ton pickups. Shouldn't "experts" have access to part numbers? The local transmission repair shop tells me the part numbers from memory.

6. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

Well I am sure they source parts from different places but damn you salty.

If you are so mad take it to a different dealer. You keep talking about how they don't know what they are talking about however you keep giving them business.

7. benz88

benz88 GMFS Member

I work for a GM Dealer, We can only look up parts that that vehicle came Equipped with from the factory. Otherwise the techs have to try and either find a part # off the pieces that were added (even though GM made the Tcases there is still alot of options Quigley could have used) GM cant tell what vehicle it was out of without a Part # for it.

8. ILuvJDM

ILuvJDM GMFS Senior Member

I love lamp

9. Willie B

Willie B New Member

Yesterday at four, having been promised my truck "Wednesday at the latest" I was hoping. I suppressed the overpowering urge to pester them all day. I finally called. Jennine tells me "We are at a standstill, we need part numbers from Quigley for freeze plugs, and output shaft seals. They haven't got back to us."

I called Quigley. Sebrina tells me she called Langway Motors with the numbers "right after lunch". She was on hold 15 minutes. She hung up, and called again. This time she talks to RON. He is less than pleasant. He agrees to pass the part numbers on to Jennine. Ron is the parts man. I've known him since childhood. We are NOT friends.

By four Jennine is unable to order parts because Quigley hasn't provided part numbers.

As of noon today Ron tells me he has ordered the parts. "If they arrive tomorrow, we may be able to finish next week."

Yeah Greystone, I should let the experts do their job.

Willie

10. ILuvJDM

ILuvJDM GMFS Senior Member

Instead of Jennine, have you tried talking to Sarah? She's always helped me when nobody else can

11. benz88

benz88 GMFS Member

I always talk to Janet, Shes the Manager and gets shit going

12. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

Apparently you are completely OK with shit service and keep taking your van to a shit dealer. Maybe stop putting money in their pocket.

13. Willie B

Willie B New Member

Deeply discouraged. Three weeks now. It seems GM won't sell plugs, and seals to its dealers. My dealer has ordered from Quigley. They say Quigley has failed to ship. As Quigley buys these parts from GM, I'm confused why a GM dealer can't get them from GM. Meanwhile, I simmer on a back burner.

14. benz88

benz88 GMFS Member

you have a part number for the Tcase or Trans or those plugs? I can look them up and see if they're just giving you the run around

15. 2007NNBS

2007NNBS NNBS Owner/FireFighter

Lemon Law FTW!

Oh sorry he is 61.

Lemon Law For the Win.

16. Willie B

Willie B New Member

I sure hope I'm around when you get old. Lemon law gives me book value for a 2 wheel drive van. I can't buy a new 4x4. I have to order one to Quigley/my specs., wait for it to be built, then wait ten weeks for Quigley to convert. I love my van. I just wish it would work.

By the way Ford, and Dodge no longer build vans here.

17. Willie B

Willie B New Member

GM 0942 7692

Dorman 555-089

Ford 3763015

Mercury 24238460

They are described as 12.7 MM plugs

Thank you so much

Willie

PS: As of today Parts Man Ron had told Jennine he ordered parts from Quigley days ago. When Jennine called Quigley to ask of the parts fate, Sebrina at Quigley says "No, he wanted part numbers so he could order from GM." As of today these generic plugs were en route from Manchester PA to VT. At this time I'm hoping to have my van before Thanksgiving. If Ron dies by then, I may get my wish.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017 at 7:13 PM
  18. benz88

benz88 GMFS Member

If he ordered them direct from GM or another dealer they should only be a couple days away.