Question Very annoying power steering issue (2016 Sierra)

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by sp00nman, Dec 10, 2016.

1. sp00nman

sp00nman Volunteer

So my truck recently started doing this awesome thing where sometimes when I turn it on I get an error saying "Service Power Steering, Drive With Care". Doesn't happen every time, and so far it seems to be pretty random. Also, it has yet to have any sort of error while driving, only on start up. The wheel becomes almost impossible to turn, probably because these trail graps weigh like 3000lbs. If I turn it off and back on, sometimes the error will go away in ~2 min while other times it's taken 30+ min.

The first time it occurred it happened after using the remote start. It ran for about 2-3 seconds and then shut off. I didn't really think anything of it and went to start it normally. Doing that gave me the same power steering error I have now, plus "Service Stabilitrak" and "Park Assist Disabled" all at once and it kept cycling through them on the screen. The check engine light also came on. After a few cycles everything but the CEL went away and I was able to drive it home. Had the CEL checked the next day at O'Reilly's since it was Sunday and the scan showed some sort of general ignition code and a transmission code. As soon as the scanner was unplugged, the light went away and hasn't returned.

It took a few days after the first incident for it to happen again, and then I took it to the dealer. They had it for 3 days and weren't able to replicate the issue. Of course, the day I took it back home it happened again. Now I just start it and cross my fingers hoping I don't have to wait for the error to disappear.

Anyone know anything about this? I found some stuff online about the steering position sensor needing to be replaced on occasion, and sometimes even the whole steering rack. I'm also aware there have been previous recalls associated with power steering issues for the 2014+ trucks. Probably going to just drop it off at the dealer over the holiday until it happens to them too.

TLDR: Randomly getting "Service Power Steering" error, and dealer has been unable to replicate

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  2. sp00nman

sp00nman Volunteer

Went a couple days without any issues, but just popped up again. Got a video of it this time:

I'm starting to wonder if it has to do with the outside temperature. It's happened more often when it's cold out, and was a little over 30*F here

3. barrrf

barrrf Website QC

Long shot - You dont have a blue tooth OBDII diagnostic thingy plugged in all the time do you?

4. nsguy

nsguy GMFS Member

What's going on with the tach and oil pressure gauge dropping out?

Eddie 70 likes this.
  5. sp00nman

sp00nman Volunteer

I do not

No idea, but it happens whenever there are multiple errors going back and forth on the screen.

The only correlation I've been able to think of is I had my tires rotated the day that this first happened. Although I was present and didn't see anything out of the ordinary happen. Everyone I've mentioned that to has said it's most likely just a coincidence, but I don't know if reprogramming the TPMS or whatever threw something out of order. I'm just really confused, but it's going back to the dealer in a couple days.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  6. John Clark

John Clark GMFS Member

That flashing traction control light seems to be flashing a series of codes. I counted 7 flashes, then 2, then possibly 8 and then 3 before the video ends.

7. Truckaddict

Truckaddict Your welcome

Any mods?

8. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 New Member

Just a long shot here. I'm wondering if there is something going on with the battery/grounds. Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and seeing if everything will reset?

9. Truckaddict

Truckaddict Your welcome

My money is if it's leveled with tires that's your problem. Pull the mods and I bet it goes back to normal

10. sp00nman

sp00nman Volunteer

Yeah, leveled on 295/55/R20 trail grapplers, afe intake, and magnaflow exhaust. Those all went on at 1500 miles, and all of this started at about 10,500. Gonna see if the dealer can find anything electrical going on and go from there

11. Truckaddict

Truckaddict Your welcome

I keep my money on it being caused by the level and heavy ass tires

12. Phildirt

Phildirt GMFS Member

you can't be serious...

13. hetzler_l33

hetzler_l33 New Guy

What's your reasoning with that?

14. benz88

benz88 GMFS Member

we level probably 80% of the new trucks on the lot at my work with 0 issues from them. And run that size or 305/55's

sp00nman and hetzler_l33 like this.
  15. daved931

daved931 I have t-rex arms

My 2014 was leveled with 33's and I never had any issues like this. I haven't done anything with my '16 yet.

These trucks have electric power steering, so I would agree that it has little to do with a leveling kit and big tires. Remember that these trucks are engineered to handle small snow plows as well. That puts way more strain on the front of a truck--especially the steering--than some larger tires.

I'd say there is an issue with the pump or maybe some other electrical grounding issue. As a 2016, you are under warranty. I would go back to the dealership and show them the video.

16. Showtime417

Showtime417 Fortunato

These new trucks have electric assisted power steering. I would assume it is something to do with the electrical system as many have mentioned. It could be a short loose connection. What has the dealer said as it should still be under factory warranty.