Question What to do at 125.000 mi (200k km)

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Tom Joad, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Tom Joad

Tom Joad GMFS Member

Chamonix Ski and Rock Climbing Resort, France
    Hi,
    My truck is slowly but surely approaching the 125.000 miles.

I've planned to change the oil in the engine, in the trans and the front and rear diff.

then change the sparkplug and the airfilter.

What else could /should I change ?

2. 00fxd

00fxd New Member

My '04 4x4 is about the same. I was advised to change the shocks ["for sure they're shot"] so I did so this year to a high quality Monroe set. I thought it may help tire wear. There was nothing wrong with the old ones. They were pretty visually ugly tho. I also changed the wire set and should change the plugs but they are expensive and the 4.6 v8 runs very well - I had a look at a couple and they look fine. The truck has very light duty.

Tom Joad likes this.
  3. Graystone

Graystone Mmm Sandwich

Did you special order the 4.6?

4. 00fxd

00fxd New Member

Sorry 4.8 v8. The truck was used.

5. Kids-at-Wawa

Kids-at-Wawa GMFS Member

Was 100k service done?

If not - Plugs,wires, front and rear diff fluids, transfer case fluid if 4wd, trans fluid and filter, coolant flush, fuel filter (if equipped), oil and filter, air filter. Shocks are typically a 50k interval but rarely done at that point so I would inspect from there. Inspect belts and tensioners. Inspect hoses (upper lower rad, heater), grease all fittings, rotate tires. Check and top off fluids. If brake fluid has never been replaced I would have that system flushed and refilled with new fluid, power steering as well.

That should cover you fairly well, especially if you dont know the service history of the vehicle.

Tom Joad likes this.
  6. Tom Joad

Tom Joad GMFS Member

HI, When i purchased it it had 91250 miles ont it. Most things were done ont it because the head gasket blew off then . I changed the shocks cause I find them too floatty even for a SUV. I put some Arnott's shocks that I still have. I also change the gas filter.
    Since then I did oil and oil filter change at every 3000 miles, changed the brake pads when needed. Brake fluid was flushed 2 years ago. Coolant was flushed last summer.

So I still have to imspect belts (does they have an automatic tensionner?) and grease the fittings.

7. Tom Joad

Tom Joad GMFS Member

were your shocks dead? HOw do you fell with the Monroe shocks? What ref did you buy?

8. Phildirt

Phildirt n. fil-dert.

Aren't the Arnotts just relabeled Bilstiens?

I did their "autoride delete" a few years back. Since then have replaced the springs they sent with Z71 coils (too mushy), the shocks with RCs (rear shock failure at about 5k), and the pump resistor (never worked). In other words complete waste of $400 or whatever I paid them. I have it dialed in now though lol.

9. Tom Joad

Tom Joad GMFS Member

Yes they are.

10. 00fxd

00fxd New Member

Tom Joad,
    I mentioned in my post that "there was nothing wrong with the old ones". I don't think the shocks really needed to be replaced, but my truck has very light duty, rarely loaded, mostly paved roads. I used the better Monroe "OESpectrum" shocks. In my case I could have used the 3-400$ elsewhere.

11. Tom Joad

Tom Joad GMFS Member

I changed mine because the first time i drove it I was in total panic because of the floaty handling. I though I was gonna crash at each turn. lol
    My wife drove it and fall in love with it so we bought it. I would have been alone that I wouldn't have purchased it.

After the shock swap, the handling were no better. Like oyu I could have use this grant i spent elsewhere.

hetzler_l33 likes this.