Question Where the Hell is this dash rattle coming from - '03 Silv?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Chevy-SS, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Chevy-SS

Chevy-SS New Member

Someone please help me before I go craaaazzzzzy, haha. I have '03 Silverado with 85k miles. It's a wonderful truck, but has awful rattle (when going over bumps), which seems to be in dash area directly in front of driver.

The very first thing I suspected was the steering shaft, so I wiggled and looked at all the joints. Everything seems tight. I looked up under dash where the shaft exits column, there is a plastic bushing there, and it seems tight there. I've tried turning the wheel to right and left while going over bumps to see if this would take up slack in steering shaft somehow, but rattle occurs even with wheel turned. I removed the instrument cluster and poked around in the dash area, but all seemed tight.

I checked suspension underneath (I have a 4-post lift in my garage) but didn't see anything obvious. I then replaced front shocks and sway bar links, just in the off chance, but still no joy. :whyme:

Can someone help me out here?

Many thanks, Dave F. in Rhode Island

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  2. B_Pier

B_Pier GMFS Member

my '04 had a rattle due to the metal bracket that holds the wires out of the footwell being loose. Also if you have an aftermarket radio with the door chime adapter, that can rattle around depending on how you secured it.

Chevy-SS likes this.
  3. Chevy-SS

Chevy-SS New Member

Hey, thanks for suggestions. Where is that "metal bracket that holds the wires out of the footwell" located, approximately?

Also, I do have aftermarket double-din radio, and that's a great suggestion about the chime adapter. I usually wrap those things in foam or something to prevent rattles, but perhaps I forgot on this one.

Thanks again!

4. B_Pier

B_Pier GMFS Member

Just look up underneath your dash where the pedals are. There's a ton of stuff crammed up there and occasionally something wiggles loose over time.

5. idrivea2005sierra

idrivea2005sierra New Member

Does it sound kind of plastic or more metalic?

I had a rattle on my 05 Sierra coming from RIGHT in front of me. Drove me nuts. It ended up being one of the clamps that hold the forward edge of the dash. I removed my upper dash panel (be careful with the light sensor) and did a little checking. One of the little slip in clamps had been opened up somehow. I put a little piece of foam door seal and reassembled. Nice and quiet now.

My test to narrow it down was to tap on the upper part of the dash, it rattled telling me it was that panel.

Chevy-SS likes this.
  6. Chevy-SS

Chevy-SS New Member

Thanks man, much appreciated. I will try and find that area you mention. The rattle is definitely coming from directly in front of me. Very sensitive to bumps, particularly sounds like steering shaft issue, that's why I checked the shaft so carefully, but the shaft and joints seem good.

I know I can fix the damn rattle IF I can find it, haha.

Thanks again! Dave F.

7. Vortec5300

Vortec5300 New Member

I had a rattle, especially when it was cold out.....IIRC it was a bracket holding some sort of module up above the drivers foot area near the steering column, it had 3 or 4 plugs going into it and it was rattling in the bracket it was sitting in...added some zip ties and all was good.

Chevy-SS likes this.
  8. Chevy-SS

Chevy-SS New Member

Thanks, I am about ready to take inst cluster out (again) and dig deeper. I will also look more carefully down in that area. Thanks again!