GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at options other than a body lift, which leads me to a suspension lift. Lots to learn here for me.

I’m looking at 4”-6” suspension lifts for my ’01 ECSB 4x4. It’s currently running Ford keys and AALs in the rear on 33x12.50x17 Dick Cepeks on 17x8 MotoMetal 951s. I have NO plans to go with anything bigger than the tires that are on it. This is a DD road truck, it will not be beat off-road. Angles are important.

Ideally, I want a kit that does not increase the track width of the front axle at all. Does that exclude ALL knuckle lifts? To complicate this, I’ve read that full bracket lifts do not hold an alignment as well. How big a deal is this?

I’ve read the Rancho is the best of the knuckle lifts, better than ProComp. How much will it increase the track width?

Do all of the 4" knuckle lifts that only replace the knucke increase track width? That sure looks like a simple cost effective option if not.

If a full bracket drop is the way for me to go, which ones should I consider?

Do any of these kits not require cutting the frame or dif? Or do I just need to get over it?:)

Bottom line, I’ve got my drivetrain the way I want it, but don’t know a lot about the different types and brands of lifts. I've been searching and reading plenty, trying to get a basic understanding of the differences. Please feel free to school me.

Oh, and price is a consideration. What’s the best compromise and value?

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
If you dont want your track with increased...you dont want a knuckle. That leaves you with 6" full drops. I dont believe there's a full drop in 4" :think:

You bring up full drops not holding alignments as well as knuckles...I'll say this - I NEVER ran into alignment issues with my RCD. I ran into a shitload of issues with my full drop FTS. I NEVER had an issue with any angles or anything with I ran just the RCD. In fact, I HIGHLY recommend it. Rode better then the trucks I had ridden in with Rancho, Pro Comp, Superlift. The kit is relatively small as well and you'll 33's will be just fine. I had 35's and I had to do some trimming before I cranked it a bit.

Another kit to look into is CST. A very stout kit and well designed. If I were to go another knuckle kit I'd look into RCD and CST. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike. Anyone else?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The RCD I'm finding for my truck has knuckles and spacers for the front axles. I don't see a full drop kit.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
meow
15,747 Posts
I believe that's another knuckle kit that will increase track width isn't it?

woops! Yeah forgot. It is a cool one piece subframe though :pimp: If I lift my truck I'd like a full drop too but it's too much cashe for what they are :imo

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I simply don't want to increase my track width. But...how much do the different knuckle kits increase the width?

·
Parking garages ftl
552 Posts
That also depends on which brand knuckle lift you go with....stay away from fabtech--they stick out the most..
I was in the same boat. I am forced to park in small spaces at school and I didn't want to increase my track width. I wanted to get the superlift 6-7.5" inch kit, but was told they went bankrupt and I would not be able to get a hold of one. So I got a pro-comp full drop. There is cutting and welding, but overall I love it. I am running 315's and it looks fine, but am about to run a true 35 or 36 on a rim with alot of backspacing

·
GMC Owner
1,464 Posts
my rcx kit only pushes the front wheels out abou 1.5" its not bad. and also on that note, my RCX holds an alignment very well. ive put it through some good paces and not needed an alignment afterwards. the RCX is a good stout kit for the money. cant beat 1000 bucks man. and im running it right now with 285's....

but if you want a full drop. go with the superlift 6-7.5 bracket kit. also i think procomp is full drop.

·
Registered
137 Posts
been hearing alot of great things about the RCX lift

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
This brings up a quick idea... but please correct if I'm wrong...

Is it possible to just run a "knuckle lift" (which most of them drop about 4.5" or so), but just use the OE knuckles and CV's without the spacers?
No? Am I way out of the park on this thought? Would the OE knuckles not line up?

This might help you retain the factory track width if that's really your goal, since it's typically the knuckles that increase it I believe, but you'd still get the 4inch lift of so you looking for.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
The RCD I'm finding for my truck has knuckles and spacers for the front axles. I don't see a full drop kit.
There's no full drop from RCD. Honestly, I retained all stock aspects as far as turning radius etc, but I had a much better rid on my 35's. I NEVER ran into a problem with it. If you want a full drop you're going to need to look into a full drop which is a true 6". That's going to add a lot of clearance to your 33's

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
This brings up a quick idea... but please correct if I'm wrong...

Is it possible to just run a "knuckle lift" (which most of them drop about 4.5" or so), but just use the OE knuckles and CV's without the spacers?
No? Am I way out of the park on this thought? Would the OE knuckles not line up?

This might help you retain the factory track width if that's really your goal, since it's typically the knuckles that increase it I believe, but you'd still get the 4inch lift of so you looking for.
It wouldnt fit since the upper control arm would be in the OEM location. The larger knuckle has to accomodate for the fact that the gap between both ball joints is increased.

On subject, I had a 5" pro comp knuckle lift with 3" body lift on my old truck and loved it. Never had to get it aligned in 2+ years I had it, and the MX6 shocks ride AMAZING :D

100_0011.jpg

100_0015.jpg

·
Could be
192 Posts
Not sure why you are so determined to not change your track width. It doesn't change all that much. I have a TrailMaster 4" and I think that it turns better now, although its been a while. Or it could just be that I can roll over the curb and not notice it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reality is setting in. A full bracket drop isWAY more money. No wonder most of you guys have a knuckle lift. I finally figured out RCD is Rough Country. Are you recommending The reglar lift or the NTD kit? What other options are a good value and well built?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
dude if your never gonna run a bigger tire get the rcx 4 inch kit and buy some good shocks. your angle will be great truck will ride perfect and 33s will look damn clean

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dude if your never gonna run a bigger tire get the rcx 4 inch kit and buy some good shocks. your angle will be great truck will ride perfect and 33s will look damn clean
I'm beginning to agree with, especially with a price like that. But wouldn't it make sense to just go with the 6" kit since it's really a 4" kit before cranking the keys? The price is the same as the standard " kit too. TBD or no? I'm not sure it's worth the extra $200 when I don't need the ground clearance. So the shocks are junk? What do you recommend for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
4 inches will set beautiful over 33s its tits. six inches is to much for 33s. i have a 6 inch ntd sitting in my garage but i need the clearance. but just as a reference 6 inch suspension and 3 inch body im gonna run 37s

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
Reality is setting in. A full bracket drop isWAY more money. No wonder most of you guys have a knuckle lift. I finally figured out RCD is Rough Country. Are you recommending The reglar lift or the NTD kit? What other options are a good value and well built?
Full drop kits are more money and more hassle to install.

Also, RCD is not Rough Country

RCX = Rough Country
RCD = Race Car Dynamics

1 - 20 of 34 Posts