GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what size rear end a 2001 silverado 4.3 has in it? and what would be the best place to get a replacement. I have a 3.08 right now, but i'm thinkin probably a 3.73, a 4.10 might be a little over kill

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
its a 30 spline 10 bolt with a 8.6" ring gear. I dont think 3.73 would be overkill at all, but I like low end!

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
jumping to 3.42 would be a complete waste of money. its barely any more gear than your 3.08s.

at the very minimum get 3.73s, which were offered from the factory as an option on all 99+ 4.3 motors. if you really want speed then you could use 4.10s, but I wouldnt do that. its not like you are drag racing so you dont really need that low, unless of course you are planning on larger than stock tires.

the rear end is a 10 bolt design, uses a 8.6 inch ring gear

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where's the best place online to buy one at?

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
you dont buy a whole rear axle........you just swap the gears at a gear shop. it should cost 500-550

i mean you could get a rear end from a 4x4(that way you get 3.73s most likely) and swap that in, but yeah thats about it

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm not stupid...thats not what i was asking to buy. i want to know the best place to buy a new ring and pinion set. i do all my own work myself anyways. there's a reason why i'm payin big money for school to be a mechanic

·
Banned
164 Posts
I went from 3.73 to 4.10 and you can feel a big difference in pickup. I like taking off the line fast, that's why I got 4.10s.
But for those who do a lot of highway driving, 3.42s are good, nothing a 3000 stall won't fix :D
Yes, 10 bolt, 8.6", but when you look for parts, look for 8.5", it will work.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
captainchaos said:
i'm not stupid...thats not what i was asking to buy. i want to know the best place to buy a new ring and pinion set. i do all my own work myself anyways. there's a reason why i'm payin big money for school to be a mechanic
hey dont get defensive, how was anyone supposed to know that....

try randys ring & pinion and rieder racing. those are the 2 big ones i can think of

1 - 8 of 8 Posts