GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Nuke 'um ... just sayin'
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted HID's for a while and ran them briefly in reflector housings and decided that that was a pretty crappy thing to do to oncoming traffic so I decided to do a conversion to projectors. So far the main things I've learned: You don't need an oven just a heat gun and you can easily get the lenses off and cheap projector kits are just that ... cheap haha. Get the morimoto's if you do it them seem like they are much better quality.

Anyways, I have some sealant to apply and a little paint touch up but it's pretty much done. The beam pattern isn't as good as I was hoping, it's a little distorted but I've narrowed that down to less than perfect projectors so I'll live with it. I wasn't going to paint the inside of the reflectors or the projector bezel but the chrome was just too much so I blacked them out and smoked the side reflectors. I'm happy with how it came out. Anyways, here are a couple pics:

·
Nuke 'um ... just sayin'
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So did you go with the Morimotos then?
No I didn't, I'm doing those for the retrofit on one of my family's other cars. I'd read a fair amount beforehand and people recommended the Morimotos pretty universally but I went cheap and got some amazon kit for $45. They look pretty much the same as the morimoto mini H1's just the beam pattern and part quality is worse.

·
Registered
345 Posts
nice job, i like the way those turned out. only thing i hate about them is the stupid knob's on the lens. the morimoto h1s are supposed to be a good projector. i was looking on this site i believe and some one used a denali projector headlights and used a tsx projector and was trying to fit it in there. looked good but the tsx was a little short and the mounting for the tsx wasn't in the same spot as the oem projector.

·
Nuke 'um ... just sayin'
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice job, i like the way those turned out. only thing i hate about them is the stupid knob's on the lens. the morimoto h1s are supposed to be a good projector. i was looking on this site i believe and some one used a denali projector headlights and used a tsx projector and was trying to fit it in there. looked good but the tsx was a little short and the mounting for the tsx wasn't in the same spot as the oem projector.
Thanks man! Yeah I wanted the projectors but not the bug eyed look they have (Wanted the better night driving more though haha). I cut the whole back out of the headlights (and some out of the mounting bracket behind) just to get it as far back as I could. Still hated the look so I painted it and now it blends in MUCH better. I think it would look better if you could mount it back another 2" but the back of the bulb starts running into stuff behind the headlight at that point.

Yeah, I wish they made different bezel shapes for this projector. Maybe a more square one might look better. What grabs my eye is that the projector is the only circular shape in the head lights ... I think that's why they look weird.

·
Registered
345 Posts
true, but you could always paint the back of the cut of shield black, then the housing black then it would blend into the headlight and you wouldn't notice the projector in the headlight.

not sure if you have ever checked this site out but might give you some more ideas.
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum.php

·
Nuke 'um ... just sayin'
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
true, but you could always paint the back of the cut of shield black, then the housing black then it would blend into the headlight and you wouldn't notice the projector in the headlight.

not sure if you have ever checked this site out but might give you some more ideas.
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum.php
Yeah I actually just finished doing that ... so now everything in the low beam part of the headlight is black and I think it looks a ton better.

I actually haven't, I have another couple cars lined up to do this to so I can definitely use the resource ... Thank you!

·
Nuke 'um ... just sayin'
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a pic of it so you can see the reflector painted black ...

Thanks man! I really appreciate the help. I'm doing a newer Honda Odyssey next so I need to figure the best projector kit for that...

·
Registered
345 Posts
yea it looks good all blacked out. good luck.

·
Registered
345 Posts

·
Resident Asshole
11,059 Posts
Exactly the same, only difference between my lights and the oem ones is the amber reflector. I had an oem set that I retroed but didn't really like the amber with my white truck.

Here they are when I still had them.

·
Nuke 'um ... just sayin'
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks really good man! Nice truck by the way. I like the chrome with yours, my truck has no chrome at all besides the front bumper and that will be gone soon so chrome looks a little out of place on mine. It looks great on yours though ...

·
Registered
345 Posts
do you need the backing plate on the oem as you do the the eagle eyes?

·
Resident Asshole
11,059 Posts
Looks really good man! Nice truck by the way. I like the chrome with yours, my truck has no chrome at all besides the front bumper and that will be gone soon so chrome looks a little out of place on mine. It looks great on yours though ...
Thanks.

do you need the backing plate on the oem as you do the the eagle eyes?
Yes, any of the Denali style lights(OEM or aftermarket) you will need the adapter plates.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks.

Yes, any of the Denali style lights(OEM or aftermarket) you will need the adapter plates.
were can i get the backing plates at?

·
Registered
345 Posts
thanks boosted

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The Minis are well worth it. I've been running mine in my NNBS for about 4 years now without a hitch, even running cheap ass DDM ballasts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts