GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell what the correct hub is for my 2003 Chevy 1500hd 2wd truck? Every site I enter the vehicle info, it pulls up hubs for 4wd with center opened for shaft. This is the one I ordered off of Amazon. The one on the right is off of my truck

·
Registered
Solid axle '01 Tahoe/'03 Sierra/'18 Silverado
152 Posts
I encountered this on some hubs. And all I could come up with is that different from my hubs, the inner hub looks swaged to hold the bearing so the hub will stay together. Rather than the axle shaft needing to.

A guy sold them to me brand new because he said they wouldn't work for his 2wd. Mine is 4wd so i just ran them. But I was always curious if he got the wrong hubs, or if that swaged design allowed for the same hub to be used in both 2wd and 4wd.

I hope someone who knows for sure chimes in. Then we'll both know

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I encountered this on some hubs. And all I could come up with is that different from my hubs, the inner hub looks swaged to hold the bearing so the hub will stay together. Rather than the axle shaft needing to.

A guy sold them to me brand new because he said they wouldn't work for his 2wd. Mine is 4wd so i just ran them. But I was always curious if he got the wrong hubs, or if that swaged design allowed for the same hub to be used in both 2wd and 4wd.

I hope someone who knows for sure chimes in. Then we'll both know

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info! I read somewhere that someone put this type on a 2wd truck and the hubs fell apart. Sure don’t want to do that! I’m just confused that when I enter everything about my 2wd truck these hubs pull up???

·
Registered
2 Posts
The old hubs are discontinued from GM and others. The correct replacement looks just the 4 wheel version. They are similar, the 2 wheel drive has clip or the spine and bearings are fussed together. Make sure you get the 2 wheel hubs. I had the same issue on 2500HD. Install the hubs and no problems after 6k on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
The old hubs are discontinued from GM and others. The correct replacement looks just the 4 wheel version. They are similar, the 2 wheel drive has clip or the spine and bearings are fussed together. Make sure you get the 2 wheel hubs. I had the same issue on 2500HD. Install the hubs and no problems after 6k on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AC Delco OE p/n FW452 for RWD and FW453 for 4WD. Updated part numbers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts