GMC Truck Forum banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
billet
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Thank ya!

yeah, I'm still 50/50 on the chrome shell. I'll make more judgement after the trim is pulled and the denali's and clears are on. The trim has to go though, the passenger side is bubbled. I wanted to go chrome but i didnt want to fight with the salt around here since it sees daily duty.

I do still have the black one, when things settle down between both houses and such I may have my buddy re-spray the black one and I'll get a flush piece O billet for it to see how I like it. I need to smooth and color match the mirrors to. I'm torn on tows or not.

·
billet
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
^ thank you. The whole process that comes along with it...albeit the coping with dealing with it, to probate and everything else is truly exhausting.

But on a good note, I drove down with my buddy josh riding shotgun for friday / saturday of the final Heritage show in Whitesburg, Ky that my close friend Lee has been putting on for this now being the 11th year. Josh and I cleaned the hell out of the Sierra and I registered it so the entry fee would go to the KSP and found this nice picture of the truck from the show on saturday. I learned sunday that it snagged 2nd place in 4x4 All lol.

Couple other things. Swapped out the reverse bulbs for some VLED 6k bulbs, which greatly helps me seeing while backing up at night (especially with my small 5x12 trailer.)

Redid the exhaust a few weeks back. True duals with high flow cats, Magnaflow X-Pipe into spintech Pro Street mufflers and ended with stainless tips. Absolutely love the sound and just smidge more oomph. Once i do headers I'll be done. (I've had a set of stainless shorty headers sitting for far too long, which for the price I couldnt beat it). I have a lot of cleaning/painting to do under here.

Wheel waxed the front wheels to test and see how I like the product, so far so good. Really shined the black up.

Next are N-Fab steps & color match the bumper plastics

·
I got work to do
6,024 Posts
Great looking truck. Im curious to see how chrome 726's would look on it? For having all the chrome, your truck pulls off the black wheels pretty well.

·
billet
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
i appreciate it. The chrome trim is going to go soon as the passenger side is fawked. I liked it when I had the black grill shell on it, but eh.

I originally wanted to get the chrome 726's, but with them being chrome and for some reason the local folks love to salt the ever loving hell out of the roads in winter time, I wanted to stay way away from chrome wheels.

Whenever the time comes that I go to a CCLB diesel NBS Sierra, I'll spend the coin for American Force rollers

·
billet
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Finally got around to installing the helper bags. I hate hate the red airline. I'll be redoing with hardline. I am going 3 hours north Saturday to pick up a bodied gmc jimmy and the 5.3 which will be built for my 01 Sonoma.

For the time being put the fittings here. I'm ordering a 2500HD hitch so it will sit back up under the bumper. Since my spare tire is no longer under the truck, I'm going to make a mount to put the fill/release fittings behind the "door" that would normally access to drop the spare.

·
billet
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Slightly long book ahead. Apologies for the non-reader's digest condensed version.

Been meaning to jump back on here for quite awhile. Amazed to find the last updates to this thread were beginning of 2014. A lot has happened and changed since then and with this truck. It served great other than having the run around with the 1st transmission shop that "rebuilt it" and then not honoring any type of warranty as I only put 6,500 miles on the truck from the December 2014 (got it back January 2015) to when the trans broke again May of 2016. Had it rebuilt by a much better local shop after going round and round with the first shop and had it back in my possession November 2016.

Then things began to really show their age with rust, everywhere. Rockers, cab corners, drivers bedside, rear bumper was about to punch through, brake lines, fuel lines, trans lines and shocks were determined to look like hell.

Hell bent on refusing to buy a new-er used truck, especially given the condition of the majority of the truck, i picked up full replacement rockers and cab corners during the summer of 2016, which sat in the basement until I decided what to do about the bedsides / bed in general. Instantly after getting the truck back from the transmission shop in November 2016, literally the night I went to pick it up, brake pedal went to the floor. Drivers side front brake-line had a hole. So it was put on the rollback and taken to my friends shop so I could bring it in and use the weekend to replace all the brake-lines and fuel lines so I could drive it through "winter". Which we really didn't get nearly any snow winter 2016-2017.

The truck for the majority of 2017 sat, a few times, space opened at the body shop where I'd be doing work on the truck with a long time friend of mine doing the rockers & cab corners. I'd take the truck there, and other things would get in the way (since we were doing this on the side) which wasn't a big deal. I continued driving my '07 335i.

Back on track, middle of November 2017 comes along, we have the green light to go forward with my truck. About a month prior, I had decided I would try and find a bed in better shape since a bedside is about $1000 each. Luck would have it, I find one relatively close (about an hour away in Indiana) for a very good price. Seller had bought a few used parts truck from California and had no use for the bed. My bodyshop friend and I went, he looked it over, gave it his stamp of approval as there was literally no rust whatsoever. Loaded on the trailer and brought it home.

Knowing I only wanted to do this once, old bed was taken off and sold with tailgate for $400 to offset cost of new/used bed. I proceeded to clean up the back half of the frame and as much of the rest of it as I could get to. I'm OCD enough that honestly I'd have loved to have taken the cab and front clip off and done the whole thing, but there was no way that was happening lol.

Rather than to continue on for those that are still reading my rambling, here's the overall list of stuff that was done followed by a ton of pictures.

** Cliff notes: I had a pita time with transmission shop with the truck, everything started to rust, everything that was garbage was cut out and replaced. And I strongly like KBS paint product.

- Stripped rear frame and painted with KBS
- Cleaned-up rear diff and painted with KBS
- Installed Mag-Hytec rear diff cover.
- Stripped rear shocks and painted.
- Refurbished rear shock clamps.
- Stripped front shocks and painted.
- New rear 2500HD hitch, painted with KBS
- Completely cut out and replaced drivers and passengers rockers.
- Completely cut out and replaced drivers and passengers cab corners.
- Shaved front bumper of all holes.
- Color-matched front bumper, rear bumper, grill-shell.
- Chrome door trim removed.
- Entire truck buffed.
- New rear leaf-spring shackles.
- LED pods installed in rear bumper.
- New, rust free bed body-worked and and painted.
- Painted the entire underside of rust free bed with KBS.
- New tailgate.
- New (gently used lol) tonneau cover.
- New master cylinder

·
Registered
739 Posts
Looks awesome!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
good to see ya back. amazing work, looks great!

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Looks really good, nice work. Now keep it out of the salt :crazy:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Rust sucks lol. Did a bunch of rust repair a few years ago and now have another spot I'll need to fix

·
billet
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Back to the top lol! Still rocking this thing, fighting a "blower motor issue" (posted a thread, is not the usual suspect), got the wheels with fresh powdercoat finally (all gloss black). Picked up a set of OEM efans and the harness.

Also have another 5.3 LM7 and another 5.3 aluminum block motor (L33?). the aluminum block motor is sans pistons (kid who bought it used took them out for whatever reason, i picked up the motor "complete" minus pistons of course for $200.

The other LM7 will either get gone through and a few fun things and go into this truck so I know it's fresh (i'm a bit over 200k).

·
billet
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
And because actual pictures are better. So pre-fresh powder on the wheels and an extremely terrible after of the freshly repowdered wheel.

blower motor issue fixed, next is to measure and order the atomic fab from coilover setup, install oem efans (already have the harness) along with the paintmatched oem flares I have for it.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts