GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 denali 6.0. I replaced my pump/pick up/pan gasket but now I have a leak from the left rear of the oil pan near the filter. It is 100% coming from oil pan gasket. Do you know the bolt tightening sequence and torque for the pan bolts, the long rear pan bolts and the 2 bell housing bolts? First I tighten the pan bolts from left to right. the 2 in the back (long ones) , then tightened the bell house bolt and noticed the pan shifted a little. I think that is my problem but not sure. What is the proper way to get this pan on without leaking. Using a new pan and felpro gasket.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
theres a specific sequence u have to follow....ill look it up. I followed it when I did my cam and oil pump install

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
specs
http://ls1howto.com/index.php?category=1

sequence
1. Tighten the oil pan-to-block and oil pan-to-oil pan front cover bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).
2. Tighten the oil pan-to-rear cover bolts to 12 N·m (106 lb in).
3. Tighten the flywheel housing bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
heres how i did it when i did it

when installing the pan again, put on ur timing cover, hand tihten the bolts for the cover...then hand tighten all the pan bolts, including the ones that hold the timing cover...i put some rtv where those 2 meet. then tighten the 2 smaller bolts at the back of the pan, then tje 2 that go to the trans. once all are snug....tigjten the timing cover....the one bolt by the compressor is a lil bitch....then go back down under tje truck and tigjten tje pan bolts, then the lil bolts and finally the trans bolts...torque was 22ft lbs, 106in lbs and 37 ft lbs...make sure u torque the two lil bolts to in lbs, not ft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good deal. I am re-doing the gasket with a new felpro on Saturday as well as some rtv in the 4 corners of the block. The gasket box says install dry, but the consensus is 4 dabs when the timing cover and the block meet and in the rear 2 corners. Not going to do crazy just enough for precaution. This will be the third time dropping the front diff to pull this pan....and hopefully my last time.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
So easy on 2wd...sucks ur having issues...I used a felpro...no problems

1 - 8 of 8 Posts