GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time for me to upgrade the original sound system in the truck, my head unit is half dead and most of the speakers are blown… This is going to be a “budget” install that’s going to happen in my driveway. I would like for 99% of the stuff should mount in the factory locations, so that means no custom fiberglass boxes are being built.

My truck is a 2004 Silverado Crew Cab (Z71), it does have the basic 6 speaker system, and it doesn’t have On-Star.

But first off, I have a couple of questions since I can’t seem to find the correct answers on the web.

What size of speakers fit directly into the holes? Crutchfield says 6-3/4” in all 4, but another site says 6.5” on the front and 4x6 in the rear door.

On the front doors speakers with the woofer and tweeter separated is the crossover inside the door is all the processing done at the Factory head unit?

Is there any special adapter boxes or concerns I need to know ahead of time?

My plans are: (no parts have been decided on)
Phase 1: Headunit with CD/MP3/iPod/iPhone player functions; Front doors a set of Components; Rear door a set of 2-ways. Possibly run all the cabling for the future Phase
Phase 2: (6-12m later): Stealth Subwoofer and Amp; install all cabling needed to finish the install.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
parts are:
dash kit
antenna adapter
harness to retain chimes and rap
6 3/4 component speakers (with tweeters) or oversized 6 1/2s
4x6 speakers

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
Hey there, first off I'd say listen to Scott (Forklift) because he's helped many people with installs and advice on the forum here and is very knowledgeable. If I'm not mistaken he may even be able to sell you some parts.

In my CCSB I used Alpine S-Type components for the front doors and Alpine coax in the rear doors.

GMCAlpines2.jpg

The crossovers are behind the front kick pannels.

I didn't need ground shaking bass, especially as I primarily listen to Rock. I went with an Alpine amp under the rear seat and two 8" JL Audio subs behind. There are many ways to arrange an amp/sub combo in the CC, this just happens to be how mine worked out.

GMCamp2.jpg

GMCsubs2.jpg

·
S-Marts Top of the Line
191 Posts
parts are:
dash kit
antenna adapter
harness to retain chimes and rap
6 3/4 component speakers (with tweeters) or oversized 6 1/2s
4x6 speakers
well, just check out what forklift said...

Also, The harness that he mentioned is really expensive but it does retain the factory chimes...

I used a simple truck harness on my install because its 10k times cheaper and it gets rid of the chimes......

Look on ebay for a dash kit, and adapter you can usually find these bundled together....one is just as good as another.

speakers are up to you.

Also on a crew cab I would suggest jack relocation, removing some of that plastic and such, and using a behind the seat set up.....only because seats in a crew cab are different from an extended cab and under box seats are a beeyotch in a crew cab

1 - 6 of 6 Posts