GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 04 Gmc sierra 1500 and my speedo recently went outta whack. from what ive been reading it needs a new stepper motor. i want to do this myself but im wondering is there different stepper motors for each gauge? or are all stepper motors the same? is there different ones for speedos with km/h or mph?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yup they are all the same. It's actually quite easy. Use solder wick to remove the old steeper motor.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
use a fork to pull the needles straight up. Mark the relation of the gage to the face plate before removal, especially the speedometer, to keep them calibrated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
use a fork to pull the needles straight up. Mark the relation of the gage to the face plate before removal, especially the speedometer, to keep them calibrated.
my speedo currently stays at 60kmh when truck is off so how would i calibrate it back to 0 again?

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Rotate counter clockwise until at the original stop point. You can still find/mark those with faulty motors before you remove needles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah oh great thanks. hopefully my new stepper motor will be in tommorow and i can start this this week. looks easy enough. ill let you guys know how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts