GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 sierra and I just got a new headunit installed and now my factory steering wheel radio controls dont work... Anyone have any clue on why? Did they not use the right adapter or is there a special adapter that needs to be used? Any help would be great...

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
the aftermarket headunit prolly wasnt designed to work with the GM controls... there might be some adapter, but very unlikely

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
hit bogeyboy up with a pm, his steering wheel controls work with his aftermarket deck. Basically its a harness that plugs into the controls and sends an infrared signal to your deck. This will only work if your deck can be used with a remote. Or at least that I know of

·
has driven a Ford lately.
2,478 Posts
Did you swap in an aftermarket HU or just another OEM item?

If it's aftermarket, I'm not sure if anyone makes a steering wheel control interface yet fot the 03+s. Try giving SoundGate a call (www.soundgate.com) and see if they have anything. I've dealt with these folks before and they seem to have some great products and are very good about support.

If it's OEM, it's probably some crazy computer BS and the truck needs some computer or another reprogrammed by the dealer. On my OEM Bose 6-disc unit there is only one connection on the back (excluding the antenna)...there is NOT a separate connection for the steering wheel controls.

BTW, damn nice looking truck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
If no one makes it, you can get it done by some high end stereo stores. I have seen some really cool work done at different electronic shows but off the top of my head I can't think of anyone I know that could help in Texas.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn just more and more $$$ just to run the aftermarket...lol Im gonna have to get it cause I cant live with out the steering controls now that I am so use to using them...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out PAC-Audio they have an interface which works just like the previous poster said. It uses your steering wheel controls which goes through the interface and emits an infrared signal to your head unit. I have seen a truck with this installed ('03 GMC) and it worked very good.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I just bought a Pioneer Primier MP3 player and my local audio store that is installing my Responder has one of those in stock so if the headunit gets here by saturday then It will be installed at the same time as the Responder Alarm... Thanks for all the help... GMFS Rules

1 - 13 of 13 Posts