GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so what kind of options do I have for an upgraded alternator for my '04 V6? I need more power. Bad.

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
Ok, so what kind of options do I have for an upgraded alternator for my '04 V6? I need more power. Bad.
Kevin, you can overdrive your current alty with a smaller pulley and get you 15-25 more amps at idle. This is depending on if you have a small or large housing alt on the truck.This is a inexpensive way to get a little more amperage. A pulley and shorter belt install and your done. It will not get you anymore amperage on the topend, but helps a little a idle.Im not sure on the belt size you'll need, being a V6. Im sure you'll have no trouble finding a belt.

If you lookin for "ball to the wall" I can build you a Large housing Esky alt. It will give you 115-130 amps at idle, and 230-240 amps at 850 engine rpm. If this thing cant keep up, its time for more batterys.It will bolt right up. You'll have to change your belt, and add a 4 ga. charge wire.I can build them in natural or chrome finish. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kevin, you can overdrive your current alty with a smaller pulley and get you 15-25 more amps at idle. This is depending on if you have a small or large housing alt on the truck.This is a inexpensive way to get a little more amperage. A pulley and shorter belt install and your done. It will not get you anymore amperage on the topend, but helps a little a idle.Im not sure on the belt size you'll need, being a V6. Im sure you'll have no trouble finding a belt.

If you lookin for "ball to the wall" I can build you a Large housing Esky alt. It will give you 115-130 amps at idle, and 230-240 amps at 850 engine rpm. If this thing cant keep up, its time for more batterys.It will bolt right up. You'll have to change your belt, and add a 4 ga. charge wire.I can build them in natural or chrome finish. hope this helps.
Well here's the question, will any V8 alternator work with my V6? I'm sure it'll physically bolt up, I'm concerned about the plugs and what-not, also with it being an '04 and the different wiring system and all that.

What kind of cost am I looking at for a beefy Esky unit from you?

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
Well here's the question, will any V8 alternator work with my V6? I'm sure it'll physically bolt up, I'm concerned about the plugs and what-not, also with it being an '04 and the different wiring system and all that.

What kind of cost am I looking at for a beefy Esky unit from you?
Yes, the V6 and V8 alts are interchangeable. All 95-06 Delco/Delfi cs130d,ad230,ad244 class alts all have the same 4 pin oval regulator plug V6 or V8. Now, in 05, there was an odd ball Bosch unit out there that has a 2 pin round plug. This Bosch unit is rare though.

How much rms you running? What all are you powering?

PM sent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts