GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly i drive an 05 silverado.

1. Old gals been lifted most of her 46k miles... now the steerings feeling a little loose as in i can reach in and grab the tierod with the front end off the ground and it wobbles like no tomorrow... i dont know if its supposed to do that... but it does.

2. Also When going over bumps it feels like my steering shaft is moving up and down like popping in a way... whats the current fix on this?

3. Recently when i was out boggin with mud up to my doors i came out of a home and my truck now makes this horrible wine sound all the time... it gets faster and louder as i rev up the truck but the steering feels powered well... i assume this is the power steering pump or.... suggestions?

4. When i hammer on it it feels like somethings sliding.. like my driveshaft is moving like slide hammer or something... i checked the rear one... its good... i guess i need to verify the front ones intergrity... but does anyone have any suggestions as to what else this could be?

5. Also does anyone have any good suggestions on a good rebuild kit for a 60e transmission... i want more beef i think my torque converter is getting bad or something... i'll be out doing just fine offroad through holes for instance and after about 2 min it barely wants to spend the tires real sluggish feeling... any clue what this is?? if its too much to fix i'd rather swap to a 6.0 or 5.3 with the 80e

Appreciate all feedback on this guys..
Thanks,
Bobby

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
1. There shouldnt be slop in the tie rod. Either the balljoint is worn or the tie rod itself is loose so check the tightness of the nut where it bolts to the knuckle and check the tightness of the larger nut that connects to the end of your draglink.

2. GMs are notorious for the steering pop. The steering shafts our trucks are equipped with are junk. You can take the steering shaft out and grease it but the pop could come back over a period of time depending. Theres also an aftermarket shaft made by Borgeson and its a direct replacement. Its made of steel rather than plastic and its supposed to eliminate the steering pop for good. Im about to put one on my truck so I can get pics at that time if you want.

If you would like to regrease your stock steering shaft here is a helpful link on how to do it: http://gm-trucks.com/home/content/view/232/25/

3. The only time my truck has ever made a whine sound was when my carrier bearings in the rear diff were wearing out. Other than that I really cant help you there.

Ill let someone else chime in on the rest of your questions since Im not familiar with those problems. Sorry!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i have 4" blocks in the back but when i had it lifted before it didnt do this... kinda weird it would do it now... on the Thanks motohead for the link of how to grease that thing... i will prolly go with the replacement too let me know how that works out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts