GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 5.3 4x4 z71 and the front pinion seal already started leaking 22,000 miles. is this normal. is this a problem with these trucks. the dealership replaced it without a problem but. I was wondering if I had to worry about it in another 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
No problems with mine. But something I would really keep an eye on. On warranty, everything is unacceptable condiction.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YEAH i will have to keep close watch on it I had a ram with the same problems, pinions are such a bitch cheap part just a pain to put in thank god it was under warranty.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Mine's leaking now too. I just had it replaced when i had my gears installed less than a year ago, but I never had a problem before. How do you replace it? Will I have to deal w/the pinion bearing preload? Should I have a shop do it?

TIA

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Mine's leaking now too. I just had it replaced when i had my gears installed less than a year ago, but I never had a problem before. How do you replace it? Will I have to deal w/the pinion lash? Should I have a shop do it?

TIA
never heard pinoin lash...lol

only issue you would run into is pinion bearing preload. you want it to be the same before and after.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
that's what i meant lol. how would I go about doing this? How do i set the preload correctly and not over/under tighten it?

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Has anybody replaced one?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Make sure you grease the inner lip of the seal so you dont have a dry start up and chew up the seal. This will help seat the seal to the piolished surface on the pinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts