GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my yukon with 74,000 miles. the P.O. had cranked the torsion bars up to level it out. I've turnd them back down to stock height. I've replaced tie rods, intermediat shaft and had it allinged. I still have some play. I watched underneath as my friend turned the wheel back and forth. I think i see a bit of play in the actual box. My question is - can anything else have worn out premature due to the cranking of the bars? And if so, would it cause paly?

thanks!

Mr. 960

·
00Silverado
2,104 Posts
Yes, whenever you crank you put more stress on everything. Granted, my chevy has been cranked for the past 50k and I have yet to replace anything on it. Steering box is common to have movement in it over the years/mileage. Are you sure your pitman and idlers are tight?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would you check these the same way you'd check for worn tie rods? My friend moved the wheel back and forth with truck ideling, wheels on ground. Looked to me like an ever so slight delay between box and pitmen arm. Also is it normal for frame rail to flex a bit????

·
Registered
302 Posts
Put the front of the truck up on jackstands without the truck running and move the steering components by hand. I have quite a bit of play in mine from the gear box. And yes, the chassis is designed to flex a bit.

·
JUGS Racing
1,199 Posts
Dont look, feel. Grab the pitman and idler joints while hes moving the wheel back and forth. If you feel it popping then its bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts