GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am in the market for a 2007-2008 Sierra with the 5.3 or the 6.0 motor. I originally ONLY wanted the 6.0, just because it was the bigger motor and for more power. But, I drove a 6.0 vortec maxx crew cab 4x4 silverado today and i just wasnt that impressed... Is it the torque management?

Anyways, what I want to know is the 6.0 worth it VS the 5.3? The 6.0 is reaallllyy hard to find. But the 5.3's are everywhere. Does the 5.3 get much better mileage? Is the 6.0 really that much stronger than the 5.3? Are there any other pros and cons? Please offer your opinions. Oh and in the end I wanna do headers with full exhaust and a tune to either truck, I also want to put a 3" lift and some 33's on the truck. I will be pulling with it, but only rarely. Ok, let the debating begin.

·
meow
15,748 Posts
6.0 if the price is within $1500, otherwise don't worry about it. If you need to pull something that requires more power than the 5.3, your should realistically look into a 3/4 ton. :imo 6.0 is just kinda an added bonus, not a saving grace.

Please tell me your not trading in your truck :(

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
I like my 5.3L... from what i've heard the 6.0 is more of a towing than a performance motor :shrug: also the max gets complete shit for gas mileage. As for the torque management... since i dont tow anything when I hit my tow haul the torque management turns off along with some other tweaks :D (thanks blackbear :driver:)

Edit: I have 33s and the stock 3:73s.. still plenty of power :imo

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
your just like me man lol..try testing driving a 6.2L..I did and it felt much stronger than the 6.0. Idk what your budget is but I would diffinetly try getting the 6.2..my dads friend has a 6.0 and my 5.3 almost feels the same as his. good luck man

·
Registered
957 Posts
nnbs vortec max < nbs vortec max
From what i have heard on the silveradoss forums is that the nbs stock for stock lined up with a nnbs is slower because the tm is greater on the newer. BUT w/a good tune from someone who knows the 6.0 motor (zippy) (administrator on silveradoss.com) the truck wakes up quite a bit. A few months ago i lined up next to a lowered ex. cab titan and raced him with my 06 v-max and was a good 1 truck length ahead until about 105mph. (i was lifted about 9" and running 36's). I'd say get the vmax. You wont regret it. 14bolt, disc brakes, more power, same gas mileage or close to it. (i averaged about 16-18mpg on the freeway running 36's). do it! you wont regret it. my dad didnt do it with his 08 and he regrets it BIG TIME..just my 2 cents

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I love my vmax tows my hauler no problem. My buddy has a 5.3 it can't tow as good but it has plenty of power. If your not going to be towing anything I think a 5.3 will be fine, and the mpgs are about 1-2 gallon difference :imo

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
VMAX!!! DONT LOOK BACK!!!! Not only do you get the power of the 6.0, you also get the 14SF and 4L65e??? or whatever the fuck they use now. WORTH the 1500 :imo

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
I wish I had a 6.0 just to say I have one because I have a small penis.
thats why you got 4wd instead....................oh wait :lol"

·
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
2,668 Posts

·
VMax CC
207 Posts
Vortec max for sure. 14bolt, 4.10's dependin on model you get, a bit stronger tranny (4L70E) and disc brakes in the rear. When tuned it makes a HUGE difference. Right now on the 1/8 mile with a nnbs cc 07 vmax with 4.10's im running 9.4 with just a tune.

·
U Mirin' Brah?
4,947 Posts
I hate this thread I wanted to wait but its too hard to resist:flame:

·
Registered
68 Posts
whichever motor you get definitley go get a bullydog power pup programmer my buddy tuned his 6.0 with it and was doing burnouts with 35'' claws and stock gears and my cousin used it on his 5.3 with 5.13 gears and 38'' tires and he can pull just about anything with it and it will damn near out run my camaro:head3:

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
whichever motor you get definitley go get a bullydog power pup programmer my buddy tuned his 6.0 with it and was doing burnouts with 35'' claws and stock gears and my cousin used it on his 5.3 with 5.13 gears and 38'' tires and he can pull just about anything with it and it will damn near out run my camaro:head3:
:rofl2:

·
Registered
68 Posts
yeah i know its bad when a truck on 38s is keeping up with a camaro but the motor was going, about a month ago it spun a bearing when im done building it the ol 1500 wont keep up.

·
┌П┐(◉_◉)┌П┐
1,442 Posts
VMAX!!! DONT LOOK BACK!!!! Not only do you get the power of the 6.0, you also get the 14SF and 4L65e??? or whatever the fuck they use now. WORTH the 1500 :imo

couldnt of said it better. the VMAX feels about the same as a 5.3 because of the rest of the drivetrain. Im not sure if its a 65e or 70e but either one of those is an improvement over a 60e but its still no 80e. and the 14bsf is another, thats what 80% of us guys with lifts are looking for. If you are looking to get performance then you already have an advantage with more displacement 325ci vs 364ci.

No Brainer IMO

EDIT:
Had I known what I know now I would be driving a extended cab vortec max

·
In Valor There Is Hope
8,273 Posts
i LOVE my v-max. it is much stronger then my 5.3 was and has lots of power in reserve. i put in an exhaust, intake, and EFI Live tune and the truck pulls and pulls when i lay into it. i average 12 mpg with 35's and 4.10 gears, which is the exact mileage i got on my 5.3 with 4.10's and 35's so i dont know whats up with people saying they get shitty gas mileage. the v-max isn't just a motor, it also has the 4L70 tranny, 14-bolt 9.5" rear, bigger tranny cooler, and rear disc brakes. i paid $1100 for my v-max package.

·
SnatchMaster 2000
446 Posts
Go with the 6.0, you get the 14 bolt and the other beefy stuff, and if you put a cam and a tune in the engine you can wake it up to 400+ HP. There is nothing wrong with owning a 400+ HP truck, yes?

·
WANT LIFT!!!
3,241 Posts
Looking back, I wish I waited for a Vmax! REALLY wish! I am happy with the 5.3 but I really want the 14 bolt, beefier tranny, and disks.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts