GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, so my dad has had his 07 classic dmax (the 360hp, 650ft/lbs optioned one)for awhile now and we both love the thing, although i cant convince him to put 6-7" stacks through the bed.

Anyway...he was going down the interstate, started sputterin, that sorta deal. He pulled off and got to a chevy dealership about 45 minutes from here on his way to the doctor.

They said on the 07 dmax's, the fuel filters are so efficient they blog very quick and easily since their so effective. his truck barely has 7,000miles on it and he's already replacing filters...which doesn't seem right in my opinion. Also, apparently theres a national shortage on these? he had to drive about 35minutes to another dealer to get a filter so he could pick his truck backup today.

So im wondering...even though mounting location is different, could i just run an 05-06 model fuel filters on the 07? Or could i just run a patch pipe and delete the fuel filter under the hood all together? This seems rediculous replacing fuel filters so often.

Thanks for any advice,
Dave

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Iwould not remove the filter all together, you dont want that trash clogging your injectors...that can get very pricey.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would suggest a Nicktane or CAT setup. I have the stock filter on my truck and change it every 10,000 with no problems. You can tell when it needs a new filter, rough idle, loss of performance.

www.nicktane.com

www.dieselplace.com They have a whole forum on nicktane's.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
551 Posts
yes run the nicktane. also where u gets his diesel from may no get much busy so the fuel is not tht great. i have 14,000 on mine the orginal filter and no problems

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he gets it from BP, which is tied into a local resturaunt and one of the bigger truckstop in our section of IL.

·
Cocksmith Extraordinaire
4,771 Posts
I would suggest a Nicktane or CAT setup. I have the stock filter on my truck and change it every 10,000 with no problems. You can tell when it needs a new filter, rough idle, loss of performance.

www.nicktane.com

www.dieselplace.com They have a whole forum on nicktane's.

Hope this helps.
that was going to be my suggestion

·
Suburbanite
592 Posts
hey guys, so my dad has had his 07 classic dmax (the 360hp, 650ft/lbs optioned one)for awhile now and we both love the thing, although i cant convince him to put 6-7" stacks through the bed.

Anyway...he was going down the interstate, started sputterin, that sorta deal. He pulled off and got to a chevy dealership about 45 minutes from here on his way to the doctor.

They said on the 07 dmax's, the fuel filters are so efficient they blog very quick and easily since their so effective. his truck barely has 7,000miles on it and he's already replacing filters...which doesn't seem right in my opinion. Also, apparently theres a national shortage on these? he had to drive about 35minutes to another dealer to get a filter so he could pick his truck backup today.

So im wondering...even though mounting location is different, could i just run an 05-06 model fuel filters on the 07? Or could i just run a patch pipe and delete the fuel filter under the hood all together? This seems rediculous replacing fuel filters so often.

Thanks for any advice,
Dave

I would try a different place to buy your Diesel. It may be a truck stop but larger displacement diesels are a little more tolerant about crap in the fuel as opposed to smaller displacement engines. You might want to complain about short filter life but I would rather replace the filter often than be told that my filter didn't do its job and it going to cost me an arm and leg to repair my motor. Your filters are designed that way for a reason and not just to make you buy more filters. Dirty fuel is one of the biggest killers of diesels and I would rather buy filters than pay for fuel system repairs.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
theres only 2 places that sell diesel in our area, and both are BP's, just different owners/locations....

i wonder if i could just fab up sometin similar to the nicktane system....seem to easy to buy. If not, wonder if i could runa john deere filter? we get JD shit on the cheap cheap.

Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had just shy of 15000 KM on this filter. Hadn't started to sputter yet.
I'm going to be looking into a nicktane setup.

If it works, might have to be a member over on thedieselplace. I just tried resizing it and I was down to about 1 inch by 1 inch and still to big so F-it.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/garage.php?do=view&g=7739

1 - 9 of 9 Posts