GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RIT's Headliner How To

Tried to get it done while the kids were taking their afternoon nap. Ran out of dye anyway. Here are some pictures for you guys to see. When I'm done I think I'm going to run a damp cloth over the whole thing to make sure everything is pushed in good. Tell me what you guys think...

Before:
SNV33009.jpg

SNV33008.jpg

During/Still need to finish up:
SNV33012.jpg

SNV33013.jpg

SNV33011.jpg

This is where I ran out :rofljest:
SNV33014.jpg

It really looks good, I should have taken pictures with out the flash so you can see how dark it is actually. When I'm done I will do that. I'm painting the sun visors, overhead console, and dome light bezel color matched white now. Should look pretty good when done I think.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's darker then the dash. I'm using RIT the fabric dye and a foam brush. I just picked black because the light color under it that it would be going over. Once I'm done with that little spot I'm going to do the fabrics on the door with the left overs, and double check to make sure nothing needs touched up. But I think that damp rag will catch the little things once I'm done.

·
Sierra Owner
348 Posts
Looking good so far.

Thanks to the direction of Chase(1clean99), I went the exact same route when looking to darken my sun visors. Went to the store with the intention of picking up the dark gray RIT dye, but all they had was black.

This photo is of the initial dye. Factory on the left, obviously. Here, I attempted to dilute the black dye with more water to achieve a charcoal color. It looked good at first, but I noticed some color fading a few weeks after I re-installed the visors in my truck.

A few weeks ago, while I was painting some interior pieces, I decided to pull them down and try again. This time around I just left the dye black, and went with it. No pics of the visors right after the dye, but they were significantly darker than the photo above.

This photo was taken today. Overall, I'm happy with the look. Idk how its going to look in the long run, so I'll have to wait and see. Not as nice as a custom upholstering, but its an inexpensive way to get that custom look. Baller on a budget, as I like to call it :buffer:

-James

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
James, I love it so far. Just need to figure out what direction I want to go with the passenger grab handle. I wish someone would answer on how to take the damn thing off, because I know they have dark pewter handles like that at a junk yard or something. Should be done in a few days though, then I'll post finished pics. "Baller on a budget..." :rofljest: I like that!

·
"God Damn Buick Regal"
1,555 Posts
Looking good so far.

Thanks to the direction of Chase(1clean99), I went the exact same route when looking to darken my sun visors. Went to the store with the intention of picking up the dark gray RIT dye, but all they had was black.

This photo is of the initial dye. Factory on the left, obviously. Here, I attempted to dilute the black dye with more water to achieve a charcoal color. It looked good at first, but I noticed some color fading a few weeks after I re-installed the visors in my truck.

A few weeks ago, while I was painting some interior pieces, I decided to pull them down and try again. This time around I just left the dye black, and went with it. No pics of the visors right after the dye, but they were significantly darker than the photo above.

This photo was taken today. Overall, I'm happy with the look. Idk how its going to look in the long run, so I'll have to wait and see. Not as nice as a custom upholstering, but its an inexpensive way to get that custom look. Baller on a budget, as I like to call it :buffer:

-James
:handshake glad to have helped out

What did you do to not get any on the actual plastic piece? The one that seems to hold the visor together...
i will advise you to not to take the plastic off..leave it on. i took mine off and have yet to find something strong enough to hold it back together

·
Banned
33 Posts
Just need to figure out what direction I want to go with the passenger grab handle. I wish someone would answer on how to take the damn thing off, because I know they have dark pewter handles like that at a junk yard or something.
Really easy.

On each end are those round plug type things. Get a very small screw driver or something small and flat to put in behind it and pull. It will come out on a sort of angle. Once both are almost all the way out, pull down on the grab handle itself.

Its the same concept behind all the little push pins GM uses on their front ends/under hood. To small tabs that are held in place, and then a shaft comes in to spread them out and hold whatevers there in place.

·
Sierra Owner
348 Posts
What did you do to not get any on the actual plastic piece? The one that seems to hold the visor together...

I applied with a sponge, squeezed, and just kinda let the dye absorb into the carpeted area. The plastic didnt see much dye, other than little back splash that was quickly wiped off with a wet towel.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really easy.

On each end are those round plug type things. Get a very small screw driver or something small and flat to put in behind it and pull. It will come out on a sort of angle. Once both are almost all the way out, pull down on the grab handle itself.

Its the same concept behind all the little push pins GM uses on their front ends/under hood. To small tabs that are held in place, and then a shaft comes in to spread them out and hold whatevers there in place.
Thank you!!! I left the area around this alone till I could get an answer. This is the only place that needs to get covered then it's done. I'll let it dry for a few hours today and then take the damp cloth to it over the whole thing. got the overhead console taped up last night, and still thinking about how "fancy" :rofljest: I want to get with the sun visors. I should get it done today while the kids are sleeping, if not pretty damn close. Thanks for the comments guys. I will post finished pis for sure :shake:

EDIT: And a good thing about this is that it doesn't smell at all!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Looks real good. I wanna see everything finished before I decide to do suede or not myself. This is def cheaper.

Did you have any issues with streaking or dark and light spots with the undiluted dye?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No unevenness at all really, what might look like it is actually the fabric going one way and the other from the brush strokes. I'll see what happen when do the quick rub down with the towel to make it all random again...
Just got done with the overhead console and dome light bezel.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Decided to dye the door panels too

Before:
SNV33018.jpg

After:
SNV33019.jpg

Pics of the overhead console and dome light bezel:
SNV33017.jpg

SNV33021.jpg

Since I have pretty much a whole bottle left, I'm going to just do another quick pass over the whole top again to burn it up.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, got everything covered up, rubbed the entire roof area with a damp cloth which helped out a lot. I also put the dome light and overhead console back in. Going to go pick up a grab handle when the kids get up, and I think I'm going to get a little fancy with the sun visors. Here are my plans:
*The visor mounts will be flat black, maybe even primer then cleared.
*I'm going to go get some of that fabric paint in white for the body of the visors, and then the bezel around the mirror will be black/primered too.
*The slide out part I'm going to make it black/primered as well.

Pictures:
SNV33022.jpg

SNV33023.jpg

SNV33025.jpg

I love it! With the doors closed, everything is nice and dark. I think when the sun visors go back in it'll be perfect!

EDIT: Once everything dried up, it did lighten up a bit, which contrast the dark pewter interior even better then black :imo

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't smooth it out. I just roughed it up with the sanding sponge and wiped it down with cleaner. Left the texture on it because I like the way it looks like that. Thanks for the comment though! :shake:

1 - 20 of 224 Posts