GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 bolt out of a '87 or '88 IROC and it has the facotry posi and I guess a 3.73??....

anyways I am thinking about using it in my '52 chevrolet pickup thats recieving an LS6/T56 combo but I have some questions.

First off, can I redrill the axles and rotor to a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern?

And how long will this axle actually hold up? The truck will never be on drag slicks or any kind of sticky tire, but I do want to be able to goof around and have fun on radials. I have another 10 bolt out of a '69 camaro, that I was going to use but its too narrow, and the center chunk of the camaro axle looks a good bit bigger than the one of the IROC. So Im guessing the IROC axle is the smaller 10 bolt, and weaker?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have a 10 bolt out of a '87 or '88 IROC and it has the facotry posi and I guess a 3.73??....

anyways I am thinking about using it in my '52 chevrolet pickup thats recieving an LS6/T56 combo but I have some questions.

First off, can I redrill the axles and rotor to a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern?

And how long will this axle actually hold up? The truck will never be on drag slicks or any kind of sticky tire, but I do want to be able to goof around and have fun on radials. I have another 10 bolt out of a '69 camaro, that I was going to use but its too narrow, and the center chunk of the camaro axle looks a good bit bigger than the one of the IROC. So Im guessing the IROC axle is the smaller 10 bolt, and weaker?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Its a 7.5" 10 Bolt, it wont last long, even on the street with street tires. Ive seen numerous people break them by just shifting hard.

·
Im walking on sunshine!
5,648 Posts
Its a 3.73 For sure but i dont know how you would change the bolt pattern and make it safe without some kind of Adapter.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 7.5" 10 Bolt, it wont last long, even on the street with street tires. Ive seen numerous people break them by just shifting hard.

not good, but hey, I got my T56 for a little over a grand with only 2 miles on it..basically brand new:D

and I was thinking I could bring the axles and rotor to a machine shop and have them redrilled in the spaces since Im still gunna have a 5 lug...Im not sure though.

I dont know what to do...I dont have the money for a 9 inch or 12 bolt and the bigger 10 bolt I have is too narrow and still the wrong bolt pattern.

My rims are off a newer ram, do they have rear disk? And what kind of axle is in it anyways? If anything I could find an axle that has disk and 5 on 5.5 and cut it down...

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd have to talk to my Dad, but he has a couple 9" chunks sitting around that already have posi's and gears that he droped in and out his race truck while he was trying to find the right ratio...

so if I used one of those, and bought a housing/axle kit from moser. What else would I need besides brakes? Evenso thats like 885 for the housing and axles and another 525 for brakes from ECI so thats like 1400 but it may be the only way...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
7.5 sucks dude, don't waste your time.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
12b or a 9" in that thing

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
You could also try a ford 8.8"

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might have found a 12 bolt...

funny thing is I had a 8.8 ford axle with disk brakes not too long ago and my Dad gave it away:gay:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts