GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive talked to some people and found out that the kit that is right for me is the cognito 10" kit. id like to run 38s, if thats possible or reasonable. id like ot know if this is ok for a daily driver, right now its driven maybe 1 or 2 weeks a month, but when winter comes it will be driven every day. how will the lift and tires effect drivability such as turning (the thing turns like shit as it is haha), acceleration (id change out the gears), stopping, basically how much and/or what will the lift and big tires effect.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Nice choice on the lift. You could probly run 38s, but that is gettin big for ifs. but you will have all the cognito goodies, so you should be fine. Listen here, ill just shut my yapper and let Sevenfold give you his experienced opinion.

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah..i talked to him, never thought of asking about daily driving though haha

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
His and mine are daily drivers and it works fine. You don't really run into issues with a big ifs dd. You run into problems when you try to wheel it hard.

·
Registered
232 Posts
a dailiy driver in southern cali on 38's isnt gonna be the same as a dailiy driver on 38's driving on ice. however if you air down the tires some you'll get a biger contact patch-->more traction--> much shittier gas mileage.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
tx marine said:
a dailiy driver in southern cali on 38's isnt gonna be the same as a dailiy driver on 38's driving on ice. however if you air down the tires some you'll get a biger contact patch-->more traction--> much shittier gas mileage.
Err, you don't want a big contact patch on ice... Thats the problem with off-road tires aired up. On ice you want a skinnier tire to put as much weight on the contact patch as possible. For snow you want a big patch but not on ice.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
willyswanter said:
Err, you don't want a big contact patch on ice... Thats the problem with off-road tires aired up. On ice you want a skinnier tire to put as much weight on the contact patch as possible. For snow you want a big patch but not on ice.
:word: on ice you want tires as skinny as you can get them...snow needs a big patch to float across...there was a big discussion earlier this year. Even tho you have 4wd, it won't do much good when you hit a patch of ice and have no traction on all 4 wheels. As for running 38s on a DD, i see no prob at all with you doing it since you have a 3/4 ton truck...i wouldn't really wanna run anything bigger than 35s on 1/2 ifs, but on 3/4 ton, 38s is fine.

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright guys, thanks for all the info. in the 2 years ive been driving i havent come across any ice yet (know on wood heh) just a shit load of thick slushy snow. the closest thing that came to ice was my GFs dirt road, all the snow got packed down and was pretty slippery; might have had ice on it but ive never gone off the road in the winter or anything.

edit: what would be a good gear to run with 38s

·
2,451 Posts
spitfire2332 said:
alright guys, thanks for all the info. in the 2 years ive been driving i havent come across any ice yet (know on wood heh) just a shit load of thick slushy snow. the closest thing that came to ice was my GFs dirt road, all the snow got packed down and was pretty slippery; might have had ice on it but ive never gone off the road in the winter or anything.

edit: what would be a good gear to run with 38s
4.88s

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sevenfold said:
IFS on a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton is similar. Only real difference are the axles.
Similar in the sense that they are both IFS. Everything on 3/4 is bigger and stronger. Bigger BJ's, tie rods, control arms, CV's everything. The diff is different, but its much stronger than a half ton diff.

Go for the 38s with 4.88s. Seeing as how you have a 3/4 ton you will prob claer the 38s just fine. Hulk has 38s on his with a 10 inch kit and clears em fine.

·
Blown Daily
656 Posts
I have been running mine for 2 years and it is a daily driver / weekend workhorse. I ran 38.5" Swampers for a year and a half, Now I am running 37" X-terrains. A 4:88 gear would be fine, I have 4:56, but also have a supercharger.....

Jason

1 - 20 of 20 Posts