GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Blown Daily
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still trying to find the best bet for a new tire/rim combo. I have a Cognito 10" that is currently cranked up to about 12" and I have add-a-leafs in the rear. I want to drop it down for the best all around...ride...looks...function...etc... I plan to yank the add-a-leafs out and drop the bars down to normal, I have 37" X-terrains on it now....

I am thinking a 35 "may" be a touch too small, what do you all think? I will go with a 35/14.5 SSR or a 36/14.5 TSL Radial , either one. 10 or 12" wide rim?

Any suggestions?

No, I am not going bigger, It looks great, but I have to drive it everyday and the wear and tear is taking it's toll on the truck and me (getting old I guess).

Jason

·
Blown Daily
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andy said:
my vote is tsl radial 36x14.5 on 12 wides
I am swaying that way... I want the wide look, but not too wide. This is a tough decision! The current combo is very nice, but too "blingy", I would rather the old school off road style.

Jason

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Adam said:
There isn't a big difference between 36s and 37s. In fact, your XTerrains probably measure out to about 36 or so.
I agree. Infact a 36x14.50" TSL Radial is probably heavier then a 37" Xterrain, but o dont know this for a fact. If it where me i would pull the add-a-leafs, drop the t-bars down and stick with 37's. If your truck sits lower, the 37's will fill out the wheel well better and 35's are to small for anything over 4" :imo I'm running 34" tires on my stock 4x4 3/4 ton :crazy: The 37's will be less wear and tear then the TSLs not to mention the fun you'll have getting them blanced. :anitoof: All that being said, i much prefer the tread pattern of a TSL over the Xterrains.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
my 35's are way too small for my size lift, it just doesn't look right. My 35's only measure out to 33" too, which makes it worse. I have to agree.. if you want that wide look I would go for the 36x14.50r15, 16, or 16.5 and use a 12" wide rim. 10" wide rims would be enough, but you want that super wide look. I've seen trucks with around 9 or 10 inches of lift with the 35x14.50 super swamper ssr tires, and they look really wide and beefy, especially with a 12" wide rim.

·
FEARS NO POTHOLE
311 Posts
as far as the width goes i had 35x14.50's on 16x12's and i hate how wide that are, even w/ a lot of trimming i still rubbed. i recently swithed over to 35x12.50's and i love it...the rim are still a little to wide for me so i'm gonna switch over to 16.5x8, plus it will be less stress on the berings. honestly if you do go with the 14.50 i would stick with a 16x10. heres a pic of my truck w/ the 14.50 on a 12 wide rim.

·
Blown Daily
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SkyRider469 said:
as far as the width goes i had 35x14.50's on 16x12's and i hate how wide that are, even w/ a lot of trimming i still rubbed. i recently swithed over to 35x12.50's and i love it...the rim are still a little to wide for me so i'm gonna switch over to 16.5x8, plus it will be less stress on the berings. honestly if you do go with the 14.50 i would stick with a 16x10. heres a pic of my truck w/ the 14.50 on a 12 wide rim.

That is actually the look I am going for. Many people don't like the wide look anymore, but to me, that is where it's at. I am thinking a 36/14.5 will be the best bet for me....only if the things were not so damn exspensive, I could try 12" wide wheels and 10" wide....

Jason

·
FEARS NO POTHOLE
311 Posts
1BAD9T7 said:
That is actually the look I am going for. Many people don't like the wide look anymore, but to me, that is where it's at. I am thinking a 36/14.5 will be the best bet for me....only if the things were not so damn exspensive, I could try 12" wide wheels and 10" wide....

Jason
my whole thing with the width of the rims is the added stress on the berrings due to there being more leverage on them. don't want to be on freeway when they go out :pow:

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
a 36x14.50 on a 16x10 rim would look good, i'll trade you straight up for your current rims and tires haha

·
Blown Daily
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone have any pictures that may help my decision? This is frustrating!

Jason

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Not exactly your setup... but some similar tire/wheel widths you are condsidering.

HD with 9-11" CST lift. 36x14.50R16.5" dirt grips on 16.5x12" weld racing super singles.

12" twisted and 3" body on 38.5x16R16.5 on 16.5x9.75" weld rims

6.5" fts suspension. Site says they are 35's, but they look like they might be 33. Either way they are the 14.50 super swamper ssr radials. Looks like a 12" wide weld rim.

·
Blown Daily
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK...36/14.5 it is... most likely a 12" wide Super Single

That white GMC is DAMN good looking!!!!

Jason

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.