GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked for a little but then i got tired of looking so here goes...

gears, I know 4.88s are out for these axles. Tbyrne has em and another guy i talked to, so they are in production. Any one have any ideas if 5.13s are available?

Detroit, Is there a detroit avail for this axle yet? Any happen to know a projected date if so?

Here is why im asking:

14 bolt 11.5" 3.73 or 4.10 w/posi brand new for $1200

Now, i can rebuild an older 14 and still not get it done as cheap (even though the detroit and 5.13 arent factored into the 1200).

So, If the detroit isnt avail should i get the axle with the 3,73 ratio (i forgot it comes with a posi) and bolt it up and roll it until the detroit and 5.13s come out? if i do that in the mean time i will be saving to swap the front as well the plus side to this is that i will keep 4wd while im saving, instead of having a geared rear and 3.73 up front. Yes i will most likely have to run 8 lugs in the rear but i dont care. I will get some cheap ass ones and paint em black and roll around looking like a jack ass.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
well I havnt seen 5.13 OR a detroit for them yet but I havnt looked either. You do know the 11.5 has significantly less ground clearence than the 10.5" right? the shafts are the same as the 10.5, JUST the ring gear is bigger so its not a very big strength increase from what I understand.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It's 100% not worth it. You will not break a 10.5" 14 ring gear unless you have a foreign object get wedged in there. Hell my teeth are chipped to hell from a piece of the casting getting sucked in there and it's still running strong...

·
2,451 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
well I havnt seen 5.13 OR a detroit for them yet but I havnt looked either. You do know the 11.5 has significantly less ground clearence than the 10.5" right? the shafts are the same as the 10.5, JUST the ring gear is bigger so its not a very big strength increase from what I understand.
I saw on a dodge site that an arb air locker will be out soon. Yukon has up to 5.38 for this axle( i know theyre not the best).

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
brock said:
how much will a 14 bolt 10.5 cost me with 4.56 or 4.88?
100-200 for the axle, 100 or so to rebuild all teh wheel bearings and seals, 300 for gears and instal kit, a few more bucks to relocate the perches and then labor. If someone asked me to build it for them right now here would be my price.

150 - axle
100 - wheel bearings
325 - precions gears and master instal kit
25 - perches and shock tabs

200 - labor (rebuild and gear)

total: $800

this does not include any kind of disc brakes or brake rebuild on the drums.

·
Member #66
4,024 Posts
99Z71Hoe said:
Wouldnt you rather have a 9" in a pre-runner?
id run a 9" if i was goign to truss it and link my truck... btu i dont think i am... so i think im going to go with a 14 bolt and a detroit.... but i dont really knwo all that much about this area... axles and crap... thats what we have DE for <3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts