GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a chance to get a nbs 11.5 14bolt for $500,with disks and calipers.
My questions are,Is it a good price,can I get a detroit locker for it,what differences are there between the 10.5 and the 11.5 other than the dia of the ring gear?
I checked detroits web page and they had no listing for a locker.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I don't think its too bad of a price if its complete, and its very new too since its an 11.5. depending on the gears, you could prob run it as is...what do u plan on doing to your truck later on?? put a big lift on w/ some meaty tall ass tires and wheel it?? i wouldn't worry about gettin a 14 bolt if you aren't gonna run big tires and actually wheel it, but then again sometimes overkill is nice to have...and even if there is no locker right now, im sure they will make one over time, if they see the demand, which im sure there will be, but the 11.5 14 bolt is just still too new i guess. give it a lil more time and let a few more new trucks get totaled and those axles get salvaged, and im sure the companies will come out with tons of different lockers like they have for the 10.5" 14B.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
There is no detroit for it yet, there is very little aftermarket for it yet. Almost everything is identicle except the ring and pinion size I THINK. If there is a difference its minor. Honestly, if your looking to upgrade the axle look elsewhere, but if you dont care about a locker and dont mind a limited selection of gears then go for it!

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Stephen, wouldn't you think that since it is such a new axle, it wouldn't be worth it to many companies to put much money into R&D rt now, but maybe in a few years when the axle gets big (which im sure it will) that the companies will build parts for it then...unless GM for some reason stops puttin that axle behind the 8.1s and D-Max trucks...

·
Registered
601 Posts
I am with you, you'd think that they would be starting to make stuff. maybe they are and it is just at the infancy stage? Might want to try sending a couple emails out or make a couple phone calls to companies to see if they have any products in the works.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Go for it, im pretty positive they already have up to 5.13 gears for it. It will only be a matter of time until traction devices are avail and more companies make gears.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
no youa re right, they will be making more for it and they do have to 5.38 gears even for it. Its just as expandable at the moment. Im not saying it wont be in teh future.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It sounds like a pretty good deal to me. for 500 bucks you get an almost new very very stout axle with DISC brakes. I bet within a year there will be traction devices for it.

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
Gears are abundant for it, Finding them is the trick. I don't know where you can get AAM stuff direct, but its out there.

We all gotta remember here, this is an AAM axle....the aam 1150. Its newish, but its designed to go from 3.54-5.75. It's basically just a revamped 14 bolt full floater gm corporate axle. The bigger housing and such can accomodate a slightly larger ring gear.

...Buy it...thats a very strong axle. The 10.5 is pretty damn beefy in itself and the 11.5 builds on that. The 10.5 can handle 6232lbs of torque (8450nm), whereas the 11.5 can handle 8334lbs of torque (1100nm).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts