GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not GM related but maybe there are some electricians here that can provide some insight.

I have a 10x20 garage that I rent and I would like to add heat. It has 110/120v outlets only. Most forced fan electric garage heaters are 240v. I don't have the option of running a 240v circuit, as its not my garage and I'm not sure how the owner would feel about me doing electrical work.

Is it safe to use a 110/120v-220/240v Converter (Transformer) to power a heating unit? The unit I'd like to use can be configured for 2,500 watt up to 5,000 watt, depending on how you jump the wires. If I went with a Simran AC-5000 transformer (5,000watt max) and configured the heater for 3,000 watt max output, would this work and most importantly, be safe? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
729 Posts
It would probably work but I don't know how much I would trust it. Not to mention it would pull a lot of power. I'd just find a heater that would work on 110. Are you talking about a kerosene heater with a blower that looks like a jet engine? If so, I bought one from lowes made by sun stream (I think) that runs off 110 and works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts