GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tore apart my axle this weekend and what I found wasn't good. The bearing was shot so I replaced it and the g80 is nearly ready to explode, lots and lots of filings. I'm sick of fixing weak parts so I want to convert to a 14 bolt FF. Is there anyway to convert it to a 6 lug? Also could I reuse my disc brakes off of my 10 bolt and put them on the 14? I really don't want to do a 14 bolt SF and I already have a FF sitting in my shed. What do you guys think, is it possible? Has anyone done what I am doing on here?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
So I tore apart my axle this weekend and what I found wasn't good. The bearing was shot so I replaced it and the g80 is nearly ready to explode, lots and lots of filings. I'm sick of fixing weak parts so I want to convert to a 14 bolt FF. Is there anyway to convert it to a 6 lug? Also could I reuse my disc brakes off of my 10 bolt and put them on the 14? I really don't want to do a 14 bolt SF and I already have a FF sitting in my shed. What do you guys think, is it possible? Has anyone done what I am doing on here?
There is no way to make a 14FF 6-lug, sorry. If you want to get rid of the 10 bolt, but want to keep 6 lug, then the 14sf is your only option.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Not true, turning the hubs and shafts along with filling the stud holes and redrilling another pattern(very accuratly mind you) will give you 6 lug hubs, then you just use the standarddisc brake conversion and itstead of K20 rotors use the K10 rotors(same rotor, just 6 lug vs 8 lug).

You can't currently change 6 lug IFS to 8 lug, I think thats what you were thinking about Casey.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Not true, turning the hubs and shafts along with filling the stud holes and redrilling another pattern(very accuratly mind you) will give you 6 lug hubs, then you just use the standarddisc brake conversion and itstead of K20 rotors use the K10 rotors(same rotor, just 6 lug vs 8 lug).

You can't currently change 6 lug IFS to 8 lug, I think thats what you were thinking about Casey.

:pow:
Well I was aware that there is currently some research going into the 3/4 ton IFS swap, but was under the impression you couldn't make the FF 6-lug. I read it on here many times, guess I shouldn't trust what I read.

Oh well, at least I was proven wrong by someone who knows what they are talking about. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

·
Member #1303
5,159 Posts
props to you if you can blow apart the 9.5" ring on a 14SF on the street...

get some new wheels for the back or get the SF

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
jason makes 6 lug hubs for FF's

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it is possible, thats great.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone else carries 6 lug 14 bolt FF hubs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Petersen's 4 Wheel & Offroad magazine has a tech article that shows how to build a 14bolt rear end with a 6 bolt pattern for a 1/2 ton truck.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw that article, its an interesting idea but its still a semi floater.

·
Big Member
1,310 Posts
props to you if you can blow apart the 9.5" ring on a 14SF on the street...

get some new wheels for the back or get the SF
Yea no shit. Ive been hard on mine. spinning on dirt to pavement and catching. burnouts. power braking. Its still awesome.

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
i doubt he will do it
He quoted me out a couple weeks ago for a set of stock steelies, turned, filled and drilled along with a set of turned shafts and caliper brackets. Thats not to say he said he'd be able to build anything in either the short or long term necesarily, but he's open to the idea it seems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts