GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys i took it upon myself to convert a Full Float 8 lug 14 bolt to 6 lug. I have to make brake caliper mounting brackets, and get the two final hubs machined up when i get time.

8 lug hub

6 lug hub

Only did 2 lug studs as the hub fell off the lathe and is bent, so no since in wasting time and energy drilling 4 more holes when i cant use it anyways.

3.73 open 14 bolt

Disk brakes

15" 6 lug wheel bolted up

Will update when the new hubs are done, brakes mounted, and swapped in.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
x2 on the Gov-lock

So are you welding and filling the 8 lug holes and then milling them flat and going back and drilling the holes? What about the axle shaft mounting flange, are you going to turn it down or touch it a bit wit an angle grinder or are you just going to install them after putting the wheels on?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok yeah it is a Gov-Lock after actually looking at it again. Now looking for an open diff. Got it for 25 bucks i cant complain.

Yes i am filling the holes welding, turning flat on the lathe. Then drilling the 6 lug. The shaft flange will be turned down to the same diameter, and custom socket head cap screws will be made. To get that hub to 2 lug it took under 2 hours. Now that i have done it the next two should go smoother and quicker ( i hope).

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
nice man

Are you gonna be selling your full detroit?

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Ah, I guess turning the welds makes more sense to do them all at once and get a perfectly even surface. I wish I had a steady rest for ours, something that heavy just held at the headstock would be scary.

On the socket head cap screws, are you just going to turn the OD down .010 or something?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah the screws just need to be turned down a little. Not sure exactly yet as i don't have the shaft turned down because i just got the housing and shafts from storage yesterday.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Shweet

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
What calipers are you going with? I've had clearance issues when using the standard k10 rotors over the hub. I've had to put them behind the hub and use a deep hat rotor:

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
What calipers are you going with? I've had clearance issues when using the standard k10 rotors over the hub. I've had to put them behind the hub and use a deep hat rotor:

Yea, the OBS and more so the NBS pad width makes clocking on the calipers a pita without banjo's. I have mine clocked down currently with 90* fittings and its a terrible location. I have to take it all apart and swap to banjo's before BF and the Rubicon to keep form ripping a low hanging brake line or bashing a caliper too badly.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm using stock IFS front rotors and calipers. I have to get a caliper bracket drawn up from my cardboard template and waterjetted out so i can get the calipers mounted

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Not sure if this info is useful or not, but it could be:

I'm on the fence between the 9.5 and 10.5 for my Z. Anyway, from what I have found in my research, the rear hardware is the same on both. Calipers, rotors, and pads. At least for the NBS trucks with two piston rear calipers.

Also, not all 9.5s for NBS are eight lug (2500LD, 1500HD, etc). The six lug disc version DID come in many late Escalades and other stuff I'd guess. I have seen them with my eyes. Probably the 6.0HO versions.

Now, if what I am thinking holds true, you can use those 9.5 six lug rear discs (ID of the hole in the rotor is the same, where the axle on the 10.5 bolts) on modified 10.5 six lug hubs with the rest of the rear hardware...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hubs will be done within the week (just gotta be redrilled to 6 lug). Just waiting on some guy to drop a new axle off at seniors house down south there. Then on the hunt for a front diff with 4.10's. Then i need to hit the lottery and get a detroit locker for this pig.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Long time no updates been busy at work and such.
4.10 open diff

Start

Hubs and brakes gone. Perchs gone. And my 4.10 front diff in the back there.

shaved the 14b a tad. Took almost 1" off the bottom. Then I pulled the 10 bolt out. Ready for the 14 bolt.
Rolling 4.10 detroit locked 6 lugged 14b FF.

Tiny little 10 bolt.

Missing something?

Caliper bracket, caliper, rotor, 6 lug hub

As you can see the Shaft fits perfectly through the rim.

The beast in the dark. Will get some better pics tomorrow in the light flexing and such. Also of the new 1" increased wheelbase.

It runs and drives great. the 4.10's are a great improvement over the 3.73's. And the new detroit is nice too.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Sweet. Looks noice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts