GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a SF 14 bolt friday, and I have a few questions. I'm pretty sure it has 3.42's in it now, so i'm going to re-gear it to match my front 3.73's.
1. The brake lines are pretty screwed up, how difficult is it to replace these lines?
2. Can I use the parking brake cables from my 10 bolt since they're kinda screwed up too?
3. I'm planning on doing the brakes, what else should I replace/inspect before installing the axle?

14bolt3.jpg

14bolt2.jpg

14bolt1.jpg

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Hey man, that rear end looks like it came from a 2wd truck, and if so it is 65" wide and will look funny under your truck as it is too narrow. You will want to measure from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. The 14SF you need is 68" wide.

·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent actually measured it yet, but the truck I pulled it off of was a 4x4, and even if it is, it isnt much money lost. I got it for 65 bucks.

·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just measured the axle.
I didnt feel like taking the wheels off so I measured between the brakes, which is about 56.5", the drums are about 6". So with a quick cursory measurement it looks like it's approximately 68.5".

·
Registered
144 Posts
Use it, no one will ever know the difference.

1. to swap lines its straight foward. youll have to re bend your 10 bolt ones a little.
2. parking cable is the same. Use your old one its eaiser.
3. brakes, maybe some paint and if your having it re geard it might need bearings and seals.

·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didnt even think of using the 10 bolt lines, thats an easy solution to that.

And, yeah it's a 9.5" ring gear.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
I just picked up a SF 14 bolt friday, and I have a few questions. I'm pretty sure it has 3.42's in it now, so i'm going to re-gear it to match my front 3.73's.
1. The brake lines are pretty screwed up, how difficult is it to replace these lines?
2. Can I use the parking brake cables from my 10 bolt since they're kinda screwed up too?
3. I'm planning on doing the brakes, what else should I replace/inspect before installing the axle?

I have a set of OEM 3.73s for that axle that I need to get rid of. PM me if interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts