GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SleevedPhotography.com
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just found out I have access to a 14 bolt, I'm trying to find out if it is a FF or SF though. I think it is a SF but I'm not 100% sure. It's coming out of a 1998 Chevy 2500 Cheyenne and it's 8 Lug.

If it's a 8 Lug SF I can change it over to 6 lug with disk brakes right?

Here is a picture of it, I know its not great but all I had with me is my camera phone:

3f3e626f.jpg

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
pretty sure all 2500s are sf

·
SleevedPhotography.com
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't sure, I thought I saw something that said from 1973-2000 3/4 tons could have a 14Bolt FF or SF.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
e Semi-Floating 14 bolt axle has a nice round differential cover:
and the Full-Floating axle has a very distinctive wedge shape:

t comes down to the "FF" and "SF" part of the name. FF has hubs that stick out like your front hubs do. There are 8 bolts I believe on the outsdie of the hub. SF will not have hubs that stick out. They will just be flat with lug nuts sticking out.

·
SleevedPhotography.com
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I can tell it looks more like a SF. Is there any codes I can look for in the glovebox to tell me if it is a SF?

·
SleevedPhotography.com
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I'll have to do that then. Thanks for the help guys.

Now I need to find out what all I need to swap it over to 6 Lug Disk brakes. Will I also need to have new spring perches welded on. Any advice on this swap into my 01 Z71 would be great!

·
bitter southern gun owner
1,142 Posts
cajun4x4 did it into his sas Z pm him hell let ya know

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I don't know if you can use your 10 bolt disks or not. Im sure with custom brackets it can be done. You will need some 6 lug axle shafts, and whatever brake parts. I know complete 6" 14b SF disk brake kits are available. The perchs will need to be moved. shock mounts might line up.

·
SleevedPhotography.com
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I would like to go with a complete disk brake kit if they are pretty good quality. I would like to run dual shocks in the rear but I gotta figure out how difficult it will be to run that setup. Thanks for the info once again :)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
as long as the 14b is from a 4x4 your fine
you can run stock nbs disks if you get a spacer,move the brake mount flange or weld a new one on
you also may need to turn down the outside of the axle so the rotor will fit all the way on
the shocks will bolt right up
you will need a conversion ujoint
the spring perchs need moving

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
That is an SF in the picture. Listen to what bigblue4x4 said regarding the disk brakes. The shafts will have to be custom due to the width of the axle.

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
GVWR of the 2500 will determine what rear end it had. There were light duty 2500's in 6 and 8 lug and heavy duty variants with 14FF rears for the OBS's. Obviously the NBS trucks are better marked.

That would be a 14SF as the bottom lacks the ominous shovel the FF comes equiped with.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
GVWR of the 2500 will determine what rear end it had. There were light duty 2500's in 6 and 8 lug and heavy duty variants with 14FF rears for the OBS's. Obviously the NBS trucks are better marked.

That would be a 14SF as the bottom lacks the ominous shovel the FF comes equiped with.
Drew made sure he removed the blade of that shovel on his 14FF. They do tend to hang low. I remember the vid of you in the jungle when you smashed down on the pumpkin. Reminds me of that shovel just digging. :guns:

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
like kyle said that is without almost any doubt a 14sf

youll have a much eaiser time grinding the old perches off than I did, as the beastly cast perches where done away with in the mid-80s, welding the new perches isnt hard at all make all your measurements, put the wieght of the truck on hte axle and set you pinion angle then just weld it up

·
SleevedPhotography.com
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so I'm going to need to get new brake mount flanges, a conversion u-joint, and move the spring perches, oh and also new axle shafts? Where can I buy the U-joint, and 6-lug disk brake conversions at?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Drew made sure he removed the blade of that shovel on his 14FF. They do tend to hang low. I remember the vid of you in the jungle when you smashed down on the pumpkin. Reminds me of that shovel just digging. :guns:
Yes, they love to get hung up on things :nono:

FrankRaineswheelingFeb182007170.jpg

·
SleevedPhotography.com
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn, that sucks. Thats a 14 FF right?

So is there any place online I can order these parts from?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts