GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im was told that i will need a 14bolt rear end on my truck when i lift it. What exactly is different on the one i have now(04 silverado 1500 4x4) to the 14 bolt. How much are they? Where do i get it? What was the 14 bolt originally used for?

·
[>
3,255 Posts
sandaddiction said:
im going to regear and i will be running 40s
Then yes I would say a 14FF would be a good thing. And if it is getting dirty, I would def. say a matching D60 up front would be nice :crazy:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
well if you plan on wheeling it then I would upgrade. A 14 bolt is the GM 1 ton rated axle. It comes in a full floating and semi floating version, the full floating being the stronger of the 2. Only problem is they are 8 lug. You CAN convert one to 6 lug but as with everything, it costs money. Ive built/rebuilt a few 14 bolts recently, a 6 lug with disc brakes, gears and a LSD or locker would run you anywhere from 1200-2000 depending on who you have build it and what you put in it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FTS new 15 inch lift and mabye a 3 inch body but probally not.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
sandaddiction said:
FTS new 15 inch lift and mabye a 3 inch body but probally not.
Crazy kids!

14 bolts that would be easier to bolt in would come from an 88+ 8 lug 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. They are 8 lug so you can convert them for about $400 or so. The axles alone usually run about $200 around here with 4.10's in them. Thick gears and an install kit ran me about $350.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
you need to go ahead and do disc brakes when you convert to 6 lug sicne teh old drums wont bolt on. Also Ive found it to be more like 500 to convert to 6 lug via new hubs, are you talking about having them machined jason?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
you need to go ahead and do disc brakes when you convert to 6 lug sicne teh old drums wont bolt on. Also Ive found it to be more like 500 to convert to 6 lug via new hubs, are you talking about having them machined jason?
I've seen hubs on pirate for $250 a pair. If your going to have them machined you could do it for probably $45 an hour machine shop time at about 2-3 hours. Or, you can buy an 8 to 6 lug adapter that is also a 1.5" wheel spacer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
willyswanter said:
Go to home depot and there will be tons under trucks in the parking lot, all you need is a jack and a crescent wrench...

Other than that every junk yard has at least 10. Ebay has tons.
Will lowes have them too? :crazy:

I looked on ebay and there is alot but i havent found any yet in Houston and i dont want to pay shipping. Im guessing i should look in a phone book to find a junk yard? What should I look under? Also is there anything specific I should look for i know the difference in how they look and you said the 88+ ones bolt up the easiest so is there anything else i need to know?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Hrm, look under wrecking yards or salvage yards. A FF 14 bolt has a hub sticking out between the lug studs. Sticks out about 2.5" and has 8 bolts holding the axle shaft on in about a 4" bolt circle. Just tell the guy you need a 10.5" 14 bolt rear axle out of an 88 or newer chevy 1 ton.

Diff cover shape:

·
this
1,584 Posts
go to military junk yards...i think if it came out from a army or marine it came with 4.56's and a detroit locker..air force and navy trucks werent locked (not sure gearing ratio but it was prob 4.10 or 4.56)
You can also usu find that nice front matching dana 60 there!

If you can find a Dana 70..that would be ALOT better.
but if you plan on never going bigger than 40's a 14bolt will be fine

·
this
1,584 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
the only advantage of a dana 70 is lower available gear ratio and SLIGHTLY better ground clearence. The 14 bolt is actually stronger.
exactly...5.13 is a good gear range for 40's but if you ever want to go bigger you will want to gear deaper.

stock strength..yuh, 14 bolt, but if you are going to be running 44's why would you run stock axle shafts? You can beef up a 9 inch to be stronger than either of them as long as you are willing to dish out the $$.

ya know...between the 70 and the 14...which one is lighter?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.