GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Blown Daily
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where to find some 5 lug axles to slip into a 14 bolt semi floater? I have an 8 lug SF axle that we need to put into my kids 2wd 89' Chevy. He wants to stay 5 lug so.... I know the 454 SS trucks came this way, so it's possible. I plan to convert to disk brakes at the same time, so no issues there. I would like to keep the cost low as he only makes min. wage :crazy:

Any information will be appreciated !

Jason

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Anyone know where to find some 5 lug axles to slip into a 14 bolt semi floater? I have an 8 lug SF axle that we need to put into my kids 2wd 89' Chevy. He wants to stay 5 lug so.... I know the 454 SS trucks came this way, so it's possible. I plan to convert to disk brakes at the same time, so no issues there. I would like to keep the cost low as he only makes min. wage :crazy:

Any information will be appreciated !

Jason
You will be needing something custom as I doubt your housing is the same width as the 454 SS piece. Also, for some reason, it is really hard to find the 14SF shaft in a 5 on 5. Dutchman or Superior should be able to hook you up. IMO he should just convert to 6 lug due to parts availability.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Fill and drill the 6lug shafts.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Cheapest way possible. Make sure you let a reputable machinist do the process. There is a certain tolerance of runout before you experience vibration that wheel weights connot fix!

·
Blown Daily
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys... I am going to go that route....

Jason

·
02GMCtruck
1,285 Posts
You will be needing something custom as I doubt your housing is the same width as the 454 SS piece. Also, for some reason, it is really hard to find the 14SF shaft in a 5 on 5. Dutchman or Superior should be able to hook you up. IMO he should just convert to 6 lug due to parts availability.
IIRC there are 2 widths of 14SF axles, a narrow and wide version. The main difference between the different narrow versions is the brakes used and where the backing plate is mounted respective to the brakes.

Narrow:
8-lug 2wd & 4wd 3/4ton
6-lug 2wd 3/4ton
5-lug 454SS

Wide
6-lug 4wd 1/2ton & 3/4ton

I had a 454SS 14bolt I picked up at a swapmeet for $50. Guy thought it was a 12bolt and I wasn't about to argue. Turned around, swapped the G80 for an open carrier (G80 is in my 88 now) and sold it for $600. Didn't have a need for it honestly.

Will end up being the cheapest route unless you find an SS axle cheap....

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Cheapest way possible. Make sure you let a reputable machinist do the process. There is a certain tolerance of runout before you experience vibration that wheel weights connot fix!
I dont think it will be too bad since it's so close to the axle centerline.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts