GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trade arranged. My 20x12s and 35s for 22x14 and 325s. However he says that the truck shakes around 70-75 mph. He had 20x14s and 295s before this setup and claims that x14s just ride this way. His truck is like mine ecsb 07+ has an 7.5 rcx lift. Anybody else have this issue or can anyone shed
Some light on this please?

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Sounds like a balancing issue. Or a bent wheel.

·
Registered
642 Posts
For sure a balancing or bent wheel issue. Take them to a reputable tire shop and have them balance them. Your gonna want them Static tape balanced. There should only be weight in the middle of the wheel if possible on the backside of course. You can always try balancing beads but I wouldn't recommend it just my own preference.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I have used balancing beads in two sets of of x14 wheels and Toyo M/Ts and have had zero problems.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Truck I rode in shook like fuck all when slowing down when balanced with beads. I sucked all the beads out with a vacuum and balanced the way I mentioned... Zero issues.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Truck I rode in shook like fuck all when slowing down when balanced with beads. I sucked all the beads out with a vacuum and balanced the way I mentioned... Zero issues.
Pretty sure there is several different kinds of beads so my guess is they used the wrong kind.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Pretty sure there is several different kinds of beads so my guess is they used the wrong kind.
I think some wheels are just fucked period. I tried both methods as well as road forcing the wheels & tires from about 5 different shops in town that supposedly know what they're doing. Road Forcing proved to be better than the rest but there's still a weird vibration that will phase/cycle in and out while going down the interstate and passing through a curve some times. Funny thing is you can speed up to like 85mph and the vibe goes away lol so go figure. The wheels are all true as well, they were checked by 2 different rim repair specialty shops. I've given up on chasing the issue. It happens rarely unless going like 60-70mph and it's cost me quite a bit trying to figure it out without any real results. Bottom line I think a road force balance will be your best bet with those wheels. But from personal experience I would be weary to buy them if he's saying that up front. If you can save and wait, buy yourself some 22x14's new. They can always be warranted out through the dealer & manufacturer if there's an underlying issue with the rim itself

·
Married and broke
1,854 Posts
Just rebalance them and see how true the wheels turn on the balancer. You figure that rim has enough offset that a jump or real hard bump could bend them.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd do all that but he's 5 hours away so wwe'll be meeting in the middle. He said his last set did this too. Says his friends truck on 20x14s does the same.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
must be using the same crappy tire shop to balance

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I figured. Hopefully get this done soon.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Just rebalance them and see how true the wheels turn on the balancer. You figure that rim has enough offset that a jump or real hard bump could bend them.
i'd do what he says. you can see quite a lot when the wheels & tires are spinning freely on a balancer. 3 of mine spinning on there look fine. the one bad one i have is like 18oz out of balance on one side according to a static balance. it spins fine on the balancer at low speeds but you can see a slight movement on the balancer at higher speeds which I assume is the slight vibration i'm feeling. I tried to warrant the issue out but XD & the vendor both kinda fucked me since the XD Diesels are discontinued and almost impossible to find in 22x14 chrome with a 6x5.5 pattern lol. So that's the only reason I'd suggest buying brand new wheels but if it's a trade I can understand saving money too. Hopefully a good tire & balancing shop can fix any balance issues

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I have only used one tire shop that uses the same beads and only had American Force wheels with Toyo M/T.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These are 22x14 riots. With 325 nitto trail grapplers.
imagejpeg_1_zpsrmk0lhkq.jpg

imagejpeg_2_zpsveulkbvw.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts